[ros-kernel] Re: Posix Subsystem for ReactOS - Project 2010

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Tue Jan 27 22:08:28 CET 2004

> Hello All,
> Now that the word is out its time to fill you guys in. Over the past
> few months I have been working with a Project called Cooperative Linux.
> Cooperative Linux allows you to the Linux kernel as a process under
> Windows NT/2K. With CoLinux you can run any linux application under
> Windows.

The screenshots look impressing.  :-)

I worked at a comparable project some years ago.
The difference is, I tried to achieve it without the help of a MMU driver.
Well - the project fell asleep at the end.

> My plan is to work with the CoLinux team to integrate CoLinux in to
> Windows and ReactOS as a POSIX subsystem. They are very interested in
> working with us on this project and have linked to reactos.com on the
> website.

Yes - I see they have a ReactOS port on their Roadmap.
This group is not very big, three or four people.
Shall we help them out a bit?  ;-)

> Currently CoLinux depends on a driver that allows it to use the
> hardware MMU. It also currently depends on cygwin to be compiled.
> The first steps for developing this for ReactOS and other Win32 hosts will
> be to remove the cygwin dependancy.

I think they are also using the X-Windows server of cygwin.
Would be a very good thing to port this to plain WIN32.
I am missing a free X-WIN server for a long time now.

Regards,

   Mrtin