[ros-kernel] WineConf

Waldo Alvarez Cañizares wac at lab.matcom.uh.cu
Tue Jan 27 14:40:16 CET 2004

________________________________

From: ros-kernel-bounces at reactos.com on behalf of art yerkes
Sent: Thu 1/22/2004 5:03 PM
To: ReactOS Kernel List
Cc: mtempel at visi.com
Subject: Re: [ros-kernel] WineConf

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:37:21 +0000
Mark Tempel <mtempel at visi.com> wrote:

> Quoting Vizzini <vizzini at plasmic.com>:
>
> > All,
> >
> > Steven Edwards, Mark Tempel, Art Yerkes, and I will be attending
> > WineConf 1/31-2/1.  One or more of us will be presenting about ReactOS
> > on Sunday morning.  We're going to start work on a presentation soon,
> > and in preparation, I'd like to have links or e-mail of any screenshots
> > that you think look nice for the presentation.  Also, any suggestions,
> > hints, etc., would be appreciated.
>
> How is this for a possible outline of the presentation:
>
> o Definintion of ReactOS
>
> o How ReactOS benefits the Wine project

* And how Wine benefits from ReactOS -- the thing the wine people want to
  hear.

The answer is simple. ReactOS will call users and developers from the Windows world that will code and test for ReactOS, that will mean they will be coding for Wine indirectly. Wine does not offer too much attraction in my opinion, is difficult to find people running Linux needing to run Windows programs (even more with Wine being  incompatible with windows in some areas, I have heard of people complaining about Wine, some say Wine is slow others say I runned x  program in Wine, on the next release it didn't) and Windows users usually do not even take a look to Linux. Finding developers and developer that develop for free is even harder than to find users. So it will help Wine a lot. Even more I think that ReactOS is going to help in the future more to Wine than what Wine will help to ReactOS.

Best Regards
Waldo Alvarez

> o Future goals
>
> o Q&A
>

> --mark

"Should array indices start at 0 or 1? My compromise of 0.5 was rejected
 without, I thought, proper consideration."
   - S. Kelly-Bootle