[ros-kernel] Re: WineConf

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Wed Jan 28 09:12:38 CET 2004

> > o How ReactOS benefits the Wine project
> >

> * And how Wine benefits from ReactOS -- the thing the wine people want to
>   hear.
>
> The answer is simple. ReactOS will call users and developers from the
>  Windows world that will code and test for ReactOS, that will mean they will
>  be coding for Wine indirectly. Wine does not offer too much attraction in my
>  opinion, is difficult to find people running Linux needing to run Windows
>  programs (even more with Wine being  incompatible with windows in some
>  areas, I have heard of people complaining about Wine, some say Wine is slow
>  others say I runned x  program in Wine, on the next release it didn't) and
>  Windows users usually do not even take a look to Linux. Finding developers
>  and developer that develop for free is even harder than to find users. So it
>  will help Wine a lot. Even more I think that ReactOS is going to help in the
>  future more to Wine than what Wine will help to ReactOS.

It also helps Wine to complete its implementation by using its code in more
test cases. For example many functions of shell32 are note widely used by
other programs than explorer. I found a bunch of errors in them when using
them (seems no one did this before) and am currently submiting patches
back to WineHQ.

Regards,

   Martin