[ros-kernel] vmWare Drivers installation

Waldo Alvarez Cañizares wac at lab.matcom.uh.cu
Thu Jan 29 18:15:35 CET 2004

Sure:

I did it this way (I did it only once, after that I only rebuild the hives)

look in the vmware iso where drivers are (that should be in vmware installation folder) dig in the iso later.
Take vmx_svga.sys and put it in Reactos\system32\drivers\
Take xxxx.dll (I don't remenber the name very well, its name is written in hivesys.ini, i'm bad remembering things, hivesys is in <sourcedir>/bootdata) and put it in Reactos\system32\
comment the lines in hivesys that load the vga driver (I also had to change a 4 by a 1 for VMware driver in driver type the 4 does not works for me)
if you want change the resolution and the number of bits for colors
now build the hives with mkhive and put the file named system in Reactos\system32\config\

If everything is ok and I'm correct you should be able to boot reactos with lots of colors and do things faster in graphics mode. I have noticed that sometimes using the vmware driver things painted to the screen get updated when you pass the mouse pointer over them (like text and icons, with 0.1.5 it was happening with the blue desktop too).

Happy vmwearing Nate :)
Waldo Alvarez