[ros-kernel] Memory Manager / Loader bug?

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Fri Jan 30 21:47:39 CET 2004

Hi all!

I've tried to trace to the long standing bug that it blocker for Mozilla
Firebird and OpenOffice (at least the version I have). While loading
Mozilla Firebird, it prints

(mm/section.c:1262) COW fault for page with PESS 0. Address was 0x008E1000
(mm/section.c:304) Entry == 0 for MmUnsharePageEntrySectionSegment

and bugchecks. The access to this page is initiated in
lib/ntdll/ldr/utils.c, function LdrpProcessImportDirectory. At line ~
1502 there is a call to LdrGetExportByName and the return value is
immediately assigned to *ImportAddressList. That's the place where the
page fault actually happens. Few lines above there is a call to
NtProtectVirtualMemory that should allow read / write access to this
memory. The call to NtProtectVirtualMemory should set access rights for
memory range 0x8e0fd8 - 0x8e1038 and so accessing 0x8e1000 shouldn't
cause any problems. Can someone with better knowledge of the loader
and/or memory manager help me?

Thanks
Filip