[ros-kernel] Re: Tainted code in User32?

Stephen Hodges theteofscuba at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 00:13:31 CEST 2004

I don't think I agree with that. Patents generally are more broad than specific, and they usually refer to a method patent holders aren't required to give the nitty gritty of the method. If google's patent was specific, I'm sure we'd have mini-googles springing up already. A patent is more so an idea than a specific implementation, that's what they are there for.. To protect someone from profiting on someone else's idea. But I wasn't suggesting that Microsoft had patented Win32/NT kernel APIs. I'm saying that the APIs themselves are copyrighted. The header files which contain the data structures, function prototypes, macros, and so on are copyrighted material. As long as ReactOS supports these identical structures, it will be basically copying the SDK or DDK headers into the ROS codebase.

Stephen Hodges