[ros-kernel] install problem

Mike Nordell tamlin at algonet.se
Thu Jun 3 22:47:37 CEST 2004

Hartmut Birr wrote:

[header from hell snipped, replaced with "Mike wrote"]
Mike wrote:

> > > The rdisk number is one too much.
> >
> > Did you have a media in the Zip-drive during boot, and did
> > the BIOS (of the
> > PC) deem it a "bootable disk" (it seems from your dump of
> > usetup this wasn't
> > the case, but just for completeness)?
> >

> There was ZIP-Disk in the drive, but not a bootable one.

Bingo. That it wasn't *really* bootable is of no concern. If you have an ATA
disk with a media it should IMO be considered and therefore be counted.

Just to verify that the setup works as it should - do you get rdisk(1) if
you have no disk in the Zip-drive?

[snip]
> The rdisk entry is used if the disk with the system partion is
> supported by the bios.

Well, yes - and no. The rdisk entry is used if _a_ BIOS (that allows boot
from the device) recognises it. This is also adding complications with
BIOSes supporting to swap boot order and other stuff.

> If there is no bios support, then is used the scsi entry and it
> must exist the scsidriver on the root of the boot partition.

Aha! That I didn't know (though I assume you mean "boot partition" in the
logical sense, and not in the (IMNSHO completely idiotic) way MS swaps
"boot" and "system" partitions).

But then... isn't the SCSI (or other media) driver stored with a hard-coded
name on the initial partition? If not, how is the boot loader informed about
filename of this driver?
(I think I'm finally getting an understanding of probably the most
underdocumented area of Windows - from a users POV)

/Mike