[ros-kernel] RE: [ros-cvs] CVS Update: reactos

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Thu Jun 24 18:15:57 CEST 2004

Eric,

I am aware that some of them were placed in the wrong files. It is a work in
progress, as the other devs have been made aware of. There are other people
working on the stubs whose job is to alphabetize them and put them in the
correct files. I've done my best to place them where they should be, but
I've probably made mistakes, which is why other devs have volunteered to
clean them up. So it's not a "waste of time", they volunteered to do so. I
asked if a branch would be better, but everyone at the time said merging
into HEAD would be ok, as long as it's not a complete mess (and I don't
think 5 or 6 stubs out of 300 placed in the wrong files is a mess).

I made sure not to copy paste anything, because I've asked Steven Edwards
and he said to re-write everything. I use MSVC and obviously use the MS
indentation because that's what I have in front of me. But I can name one
difference, in the way they add spaces and I don't (After the function
name). Notice that I *did* copy some of them from Internet sites (stubs
which weren't in the MS headers), since I don't think that violates anything
(and that's like 5% of the stubs). If it does, I'll gladly remove and
re-write them.

As for prototypes being put in internal header files, the reason is probably
because 1) I made a mistake for those prototypes (which the people who
volunteered to clean up will fix, or I myself)
	2) Some of them I thought belonged there because similar ones are
placed there.

Now Eric, I'd like to add that I didn't wake up one morning and decide to
commit 500 stubs because I felt like it. There was a lot of feedback on the
#ros IRC channel, and I've asked over 12 developers, including Vizzini if
adding stubs was ok. I've talked to some people to help me organize them
(place them in the right files) and also on how they should be done
(UNIMPLEMENTED/DEPRECATED). I am very conscious about the dangers of
violating Microsoft copyright, and I find it strange that as a person who
usually doesn't appreciate and has taken a stance against such actions would
actually do them.

I've been working for over a month on these 50% of stubs, and have taken
diligent care in respecting all the rules and constant feedback from others.
I appreciate your comments but I feel personally attacked for some
non-issues. The stubs are *BETA* and they will be properly arranged by me
and others. It won't kill anyone that Ipi is accidentally in DPC for some
time.

Finally, stubs are actually useful, even though I've heard you hate them.
For example, Steven is trying to get an FS driver for NT working, and needed
the Cc Stubs. Many more drivers and apps will load with stubs in place,
rather then just not crashing.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu