[ros-kernel] RE: [ros-cvs] CVS Update: reactos

Hartmut Birr Hartmut.Birr at gmx.de
Sat Jun 26 18:22:51 CEST 2004

Hi,

it is always possible to use the ddk or ifs kit to develop a windows driver.
This driver will work on ROS if ROS  use the same interface function as
windows. It is also possible to publish the source of the driver under any
copyright which doesn't violate the EULA of the ddk/ifs kit. This means, the
source can not contain the prototyps  of functions or the definitions of
structures from the ddk. We can use the informations from this source to
implement the interface functions within ROS. The hard part of the
implementation is to find out the values of  predefined constants and the
layout of structures. We can not use the ddk or the ifs kit directly. Its
EULA prevent this. Many of the necessary informations are published on the
web or on some books like 'Windows NT File System Internals'. It exist also
a way to get more informations about not freely published informations. We
need someone, which develops a windows driver. That driver must use all of
the functions from ddk/ifs kit. And the person should publish the source.
This sounds like a little bit stupid, but it does not break the EULA. It
does not solve the problem of constants and structures.

- Hartmut