[ros-kernel] Crashes...

Mark IJbema mark at ijbema.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 29 11:48:48 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 03:14:58AM -0400, Richard Campbell wrote:
> A few days ago i toyed with the idea of a crash dialog similar to the
> one shown in various versions of windows when an application crashes.  I
> mainly did this because i was debugging an issue with nvidia's installer
> crashing and taking out ROS in the process, and i got sidetracked.  This
> got me to thinking, what would actually be the proper way to show such a
> dialog?  My way was done via lib/kernel32/process/create.c, would this
> be the proper place?  By the way, before someone shouts out this is a
> bad idea:  a)  we need to try to do things like windows and b)  throwing
> a visible error rather than crashing silent will make our releases look
> better.  (We should also add a dialog that indicates if a certain dll is
> now found when we attempt to load an app, similar to what windows does).

A few points:

Lets say i'm testing what apps work, since not a lot will, a lot may
give this dialog, which isn't a surprise in anyway, and it _might_ get
quite annoying (there might also be other reasons why this isn't the
best way). So it would be nice if we could make a registry setting out
of it and allow to toggle usage of it somewhere. That would make ReactOS
better than windows in my book.

This thing should give helpful information. A dll missing is helpful
information, a function incorrectly implemented is helpful information,
'undefined error occured' is not.

I think it would look more professional, yes. Partly because it looks
less helpful (When programs 'just' crash the OS doesn't look a lot in
control, when the OS handles the crash well (by saying the application
crashed and why) the OS looks a lot more stable, it really 'controls'
what happens) and partly because i think a lot of people define 'the way
windows does it' as professional.

To be short, I would like it :) Please make it able to save to a file as
well btw (some sort of log) so people can submit this file to bugzilla
when reporting a bug about a program.

Mark