[ros-kernel] Config Tutorial

Andrew "Silver Blade" Greenwood lists at silverblade.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 11:27:53 CET 2004

Hi Melvin,

Always good to see people taking an interest in ReactOS and trying things
out :)

In an ideal situation, you'd need a PC emulator (Bochs will do, but VMware
is faster), a copy of Windows NT 4 and ReactOS. Boot into Windows NT 4, open
regedit, save the entire registry to a .reg file, then quit. Install the
driver, restart if necessary, then open regedit and save the entire registry
to a .reg file again - a different one this time. Compare the two either
manually, or run them through DIFF. From this, you should find the settings
needed by the driver.

You can then copy the driver over to your ReactOS system32\drivers folder,
and add the necessary settings to the registry.

The registry is fairly straightforward. To edit it, you can either do so
from within ReactOS itself (using regedit), or with a text editor. To do
this, you'll most likely need the source code. Go into the bootdata folder,
and open up hivesys.inf in Notepad or your favourite non-formatting text
editor. For each driver (*.sys file) you want to test, just copy and paste
an existing chunk from another driver, changing the type and start type as
appropriate (eg: Video, Automatic...) - see the bit at the top for a list of
the driver types.

Once you're done, run MKHIVE (in the tools\mkhive folder of the source tree)
passing the bootdata folder as the first parameter, and the target folder as
the second. In my case I have to do this:
..\..\TOOLS\MKHIVE\MKHIVE . V:\REGISTRY
... from the bootdata folder.

Hope this helps :)

-Andrew