[ros-kernel] Making a "livecd" for promotion?

Andrew Greenwood lists at silverblade.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 00:35:19 CET 2004

Just had an interesting thought...

I have a contact who works for a computer magazine, who basically is in
charge of what goes on the cover CD. I've previously had my own music
program on their cover CD, and also got ReactOS a mention in the Windows
2000 column.

What I'm thinking is, as ReactOS is bootable from CD, if we can get one of
the forthcoming versions "polished up" to a pretty decent standard (ie, so
things basically work as they should), a "live CD" can be created, maybe as
a simple ISO file, that can be included on cover CDs of magazines.

Basically, it should boot from CD into a GUI environment - without any
hitches. So far this doesn't happen for me on real hardware.

It should *not* touch the users hard disk in any way - just in case there
are any bugs lurking in our FAT driver. Obviously we can throw up a
disclaimer at the start.

But at what time should this be done? I reckon once the GUI is neatened up a
bit, OpenGL/networking/sound is implemented and once a few minor apps run on
it, it should be ready. Bear in mind that, as it'll be run from the CD, all
that's important is that our own apps run on it - for now.

What does everyone think? Is this a good idea or a stupid one?

I could always ask of course that the magazine feature each 0.x release?

Good idea? Stupid idea?