[ros-kernel] FreeLDR bootdisk / Casper's Snapshots page

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Tue Mar 9 14:44:05 CET 2004

from Casper Hornstrup's site
http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/download/freeldr.zip

this might endanger your project, since it seems to contain MS binaries
(msdos 6 kernel?).
perhaps replace with FreeDOS if you want.

it also needlessly grows the disk images.
downloading a FreeLDR daily snapshot from the same page
http://reactos.csh-consult.dk/index.php?page=snapshots

Freeldr is 120KB, compressed 45KB. freeldr-bochs download is 576KB.
maybe time to start with an empty defragged diskette again?
and then run INSTALL A: FAT (Freeldr binaries, and wouldn't diskette
automatically imply FAT instead of fat32?)
version is also 1.8.18 while ROS 0.2.1 features 1.8.19 (and the
reactos.wox.* page does not work, saying something about IIS)

does the installed bootsector survive a resize (PartitionMagic for
example, or WinImage for different diskette sizes)?
FreeDOS's one does since about a year.

I was trying to do the following:
*create empty 1,44MB disk (so compresses well for Gzip)
*install FreeLDR bootsector to diskette
*install FreeLDR binaries (freeldr.sys/ini) to diskette
*Gzip the diskette
*use the diskette image for Syslinux (syslinux.zytor.com)

# syslinux.cfg - ReactOS
kernel memdisk
 append initrd=rosloadr.gz
# end ROS section

however upon trying to boot (compressed image gets decompressed into a
ramdisk) it complains about freeldr.ini not found.

so far for my attempts to add FreeLDR to my bootdisk.
last resort may be
*install freeldr bootsector
*copy it to bootsectorfile
*add to SYSlinux