[ros-kernel] Making a "livecd" for promotion?

Jason Filby jasonfilby at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 08:03:22 CET 2004

Hi

We should take this a step further and create a Press Kit on
reactos.com. It could contain an ISO image as described by Andrew, as

well as answers to questions asked in basically every interview
request
and maybe some graphics (eg. ReactOS logo) and links to screenshots -

all to make it easier for us to get that press coverage.

Cheers
Jason

Mark IJbema wrote:

>On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:35:19AM -0000, Andrew Greenwood wrote:
>

>>Just had an interesting thought...
>>

>>I have a contact who works for a computer magazine, who basically
is in

>>charge of what goes on the cover CD. I've previously had my own
music

>>program on their cover CD, and also got ReactOS a mention in the
Windows

>>2000 column.
>>

>>What I'm thinking is, as ReactOS is bootable from CD, if we can get
one of

>>the forthcoming versions "polished up" to a pretty decent standard
(ie, so

>>things basically work as they should), a "live CD" can be created,
maybe as

>>a simple ISO file, that can be included on cover CDs of magazines.
>>

>>Basically, it should boot from CD into a GUI environment - without
any

>>hitches. So far this doesn't happen for me on real hardware.
>>

>>It should *not* touch the users hard disk in any way - just in case
there

>>are any bugs lurking in our FAT driver. Obviously we can throw up a
>>

>>disclaimer at the start.
>>

>>But at what time should this be done? I reckon once the GUI is
neatened up a

>>bit, OpenGL/networking/sound is implemented and once a few minor
apps run on

>>it, it should be ready. Bear in mind that, as it'll be run from the
CD, all