[ros-kernel] C++

Aleksey Bragin aleksey at studiocerebral.com
Tue Mar 9 23:37:31 CET 2004

Hi,
I want to express another point of view on this.
 First of all, I think you base your pov on that GCC generates bad code
based on C++. That's certainly a bad compiler than, not a bad language,
right? ;-)

Then, if Andrew wants to write a driver in OOP style, using C++ -- it's nice
idea, I remember there was some driver-development kit for NT4 which had a
Object-oriented driver template. It was great -- everything was clear and
understandable.

And again I disagree -- if someone can't code a driver in C, he _might_ be
able to do this in C++ faster than in C!

We had an example even here, I don't remember who posted this, but he
clearly showed, in two examples -- in C and in C++ how smaller and logically
cleaner the source code could be, if it was in C++. In kernel-mode, not
user-mode.

Though, despite all I said, I'm not for [re]placing C++ code in our kernel,
and thus mixing C/C++. But if it is a stand-alone driver -- why not? Only
because GCC s..cks at generating code from C++? I haven't checked this to
tell the truth, but, I think if you say so, I believe it is really so :-)

With the best regards,
Aleksey Bragin.