[ros-kernel] Press kit & developer kit

Andrew Greenwood lists at silverblade.co.uk
Wed Mar 10 12:18:48 CET 2004

> You're thinking Windows now, but not all developers use Windows, what
> should we do then, offer such a kit for all possible OS-es? BTW, such a
> kit already partly exists for linux, see the build-mingw.sh on
> reactos.csh-consult.dk, It sets up a whole build environment for linux,
> but maybe we should just create some sort of resource file, from which
> we can build such a kit for both linux as windows. Personally i would
> know how to setup things like this for linux, but i have no clue how to
> do it for windows (windows doesn't even have wget :( ).

I did actually consider Linux. If such a package already exists for it, then
we just need to worry about keeping that as up-to-date as the Windows one.

I personally don't use Linux, mainly because it just doesn't seem to
function as well as Windows does for me. I'm not going to start an OS debate
here, I'm just stating my reasons for not using it.

Aside from that, it's a very complex OS and you really do need to know how
it all works to actually use it. Eg, mount/unmount is not something you have
to do as a routine task in Windows, and modifying the partition layout is
also a lot more straightforward.

So Linux users do tend to live the complex life anyway.

That said, it would still be nice to make even their lives easier. But I'm
primarily a Windows user and so I'd rather stick to what I know.

Maybe someone else would be interested in maintaining the Linux package?

-Andrew