[ros-kernel] Process scheduler / timer resolution

Witukind witukind at nsbm.kicks-ass.org
Fri Mar 12 18:03:32 CET 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:29:41 -0500
Waldo Alvarez Cañizares <wac at lab.matcom.uh.cu> wrote:
> At 22.51 10/03/2004, you wrote:
> >Now that you talk about it. Why don't you pick up the Linux
> >scheduler? Is inside a file named sched.c written by Ingo Molnar. If
> >there is a list with the great features of Linux sorted by relevance,
> >I would put the scheduler somewhere in the first 2.
>
> This will be my absolutely last comment on Linux: seeing it *finally*,
> after more than ten years of development and well into the new
> millenium, implement a constant-time scheduler, threads, PnP and a HAL

Threads have been available in Linux for a looong time, PnP is not a new
feature either. HAL is being developped, yes, but I don't really see this as a
"must have" feature.

> (features that Windows NT has had since day one - except PnP), I
> officially welcome it in the world of real, modern operating systems

I don't think it's fair to say this. Everyone knows that Linux outperforms any
NT in most areas, and I wouldn't want to start enumerating all the features
that NT doesn't have compared to UNIX-like OSes.

> (it's something that really makes one ponder. Really, a successful
> operating system is *not* defined by its kernel. Stallman has a sound
> point in calling it GNU/Linux). You finally made it, little penguin.
> Those stubby legs and wings of yours must be a real annoyance.
>
> Wow, lots of flamethrowings to Linux. Ok every one is free to have
> their own opinion. But I think one of the worst things of Linux is the
> lack of modularity, and the lack of compatibility. Anyway I don't

lack of modularity?????? Oh no, please... try to get some facts before saying
such things. Speaking of compatibility, tell me just how many different
filesystem can be mounted on NT?

Of course I don't think that everything should be UNIX-like, I like the idea
that different solutions are available. I'm really looking forward to ditching
XP for ReactOS.