[ros-kernel] Process scheduler / timer resolution

Witukind witukind at nsbm.kicks-ass.org
Sat Mar 13 02:15:42 CET 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:01:33 +0100
"KJK::Hyperion" <noog at libero.it> wrote:
> At 18.03 12/03/2004, you wrote:
> >Threads have been available in Linux for a looong time,
>
> sure. Only they weren't threads. If not for IBM, they would probably
> still not be there

You'll have to explain a bit further here I think.

> >PnP is not a new feature either
>
> suuure. USB hotplugging in 2.4 is a walk in the park</irony>

I don't see how USB hotplugging has to do with PnP. PnP, if my memory is
correct is some "annoying feature" in some ISA extension cards. But, if you
wish to call everything that works when it's plugged PnP, I'll go by that.
Linux has had PCI support for times immemorial ;)

> >>I officially welcome it in the world of real, modern operating
> >systems I don't think it's fair to say this
>
> I'm not fair. I have opinions, and they aren't objective. Backed by
> facts yes, objective not necessarily

Well usually one tries to have their opinions as much acurate as possible,
at least I hope so.

> >Everyone knows that Linux outperforms any NT in most areas,
>
> MySQL outperforms just about any other SQL server. But MySQL databases
> are pre-relational ISAMs. Be very careful in replying to my points, as
> I'm very careful in making them. I'm intentionally avoiding
> discussions about performance, stability or ease of configuration, as
> this discussion doesn't address them. But when it will come the time
> to discuss them, I will strictly speak in terms of improving ReactOS,
> not of comparison of Windows and Linux

Don't know too much about databases. But as long as the job gets done,
and efficiently I don't see where is the problem.

> >and I wouldn't want to start enumerating all the features that NT
> >doesn't have compared to UNIX-like OSes.
>
> neither do I, as I already know all of them. But I'm talking strictly
> about kernels

ok

> >Speaking of compatibility, tell me just how many different filesystem
> >can be mounted on NT?
>
> you aren't replying to me here, but I'll answer this one: nearly all
> the non-obscure and non-UNIX specific filesystems, and an
> UNIX-specific filesystem (NFS) too

That's about almost nothing hehe. If I remember well, most servers are running some UNIX, so it could be useful to consider having some compatibility in that area. And NTFS is not so great either, let's not even speak about the antediluvian FAT...

What are you referring to when you talk of compatibility anyway?