[ros-kernel] Process scheduler / timer resolution

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Fri Mar 12 20:47:31 CET 2004

ros-kernel-bounces at reactos.com wrote on 03/12/2004 08:15:42 PM:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:01:33 +0100
> "KJK::Hyperion" <noog at libero.it> wrote:
> > At 18.03 12/03/2004, you wrote:
> > >Threads have been available in Linux for a looong time,
> >
> > sure. Only they weren't threads. If not for IBM, they would probably
> > still not be there
>
> You'll have to explain a bit further here I think.

:)  Anyone who's followed kernel development should be able to do that.
Linus is very opposed to threads.  Well, more accurately stated, he doesn't
see the point.  Linux has just about the lightest-weight processes around.
When someone would say "Threads" he would say "Why?  Use a process!".  If
you're coding your app just for Linux and its LWP's, that's fine.  Or you
can get others (such as Apache) to build two engines (threads and
processes), great.  But without threads, you aren't going to run code (like
DB2 or Oracle) that targets just about *anything* else (Windows or
AIX/Solaris/Etc.).  So, finally, IBM donated the entire thread library from
AIX...

Tim Massey