[ros-kernel] more code reuse

Guido reactos at jacquido.demon.nl
Tue Mar 16 01:23:07 CET 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:20:10 -0500
"Stephen Hodges" <theteofscuba at hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cp4218/<http://sourceforge.net/projects/cp4218/>
> Development of a driver and utilities to use 3Com ADSL Modem USB at Linux and Windows operating systems. Desarrollo de un driver y utilidades para utilizar el 3Com ADSL Modem USB en los sistemas operativos Linux y Windows.

There are a lot more USB ADSL driver projects out there (just look at Joseph Comas' other projects :-)

> * if anyone is interested in working on a linux to win32 driver conversion utility, this project should be a good place to start! includes both a linux and win32 driver src.

Sorry, but that does not hold water. USB is a standard that is supported in both Windows and Linux. The actual device driver for USB ADSL modems is the firmware that you can download from the manufacturer's website and those files are shamelessly copied by the project you mention. The additional driver that is being developed by this project for Linux is for downloading the firmware into the modem and to be able to interface with the modem in a way that the firmware understands.

(I stop now, before I really start ranting ...)

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/<http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/>
> Based on tom and roland from wingmanteam work. This is a tool that log the usb data exchange between hardware and device driver!

The best USB sniffer I know of is BusHound. The downside is that the free demo version is rather limited.

- Guido