[ros-kernel] Re: CVS Update: reactos

Royce Mitchell III royce3 at ev1.net
Tue Mar 23 08:56:09 CET 2004

>About hiding the taskbar it could be configured to use some alpha blending (getting solid when you pass the mouse over it) In fact i think it could be a great feature if you could press some button to make it active when the mouse is over it. That way it would give you more space on the screen and you can go right away to the place you want as it it where always shown.
>
> Ok I'll elaborate more this.
>
>The taskbar is blended with some window behind it (the task bar so light that it does not disturbs to see the other window) if you want to click on the window you just click if you want to click the taskbar you press a key, the taskbar becomes darker (time configurable) and click.

Sounds cool. I know some people who would like it.

>   "Group similar taskbar buttons" OFF
>
>About this one. I have never needed this but one a friend asked me if I knew about some utility he could use to organize the taskbar. He told me "well Windows is very dumb sorting thigs for me, for example i would like to group all the things I'm using for some tasks together even if I'm using the same program in both tasks". Some drag and drop could do the work there.

This doesn't sound too difficult, except getting it "polished".

>Another thing people usually does not like is that you can't drop things in the taskbar and have to wait for the window become active and the drop it there. I do not see any reason to not drop some file in some applcation button in the taskbar and then the OS send's that dropping information to the application that owns that button.

I can't see how this feature could co-exist with the previous one you
just mentioned, and I'll tell you why it would be difficult: what part
of the app should windows drop it on if you drop it on the app's task
bar spot? For example, In Thunderbird, If I drag a file into the message
are of the e-mail I'm typing, it creates a link or embeds a picture. To
"attach" a file, I have to drag it to the top part where I enter the
e-mail addresses and the subject. How is Windows going to know which
part of the application to apply the dragdrop to? It seems to me it
would require adding something to the api for an app to "register" it's
default drag/drop, which I don't think would fly very well.

>   "Show Quick Launch" ON
>   "Show the clock" ON
>
>About the clock . I think it could be set to hide too. For example unhide it with a mouse click, passing the mouse over a small button or pressing a key combination. And of course a nice feature could be if you could configure it to tell you if there is some time/date (multiple alarms with some message like "hey you remember to turn off the ..." or some things like it) the task scheduler can be used for this in windows but usually users do not use it. Also it could say the time using speakers if available and be set to make some sound or show a notification message at determined intervals like hours etc. I know there are programs that do this stuff, but... we don't need them.

Personally I like having the time always visible. The idea of a built-in
"reminder" is pretty cool, and wouldn't bloat our explorer very much,
methinks. A simple decent implementation should be pretty small. I don't
like the rest of that, but I imagine somebody would :P