[ros-kernel] Re: CVS Update: reactos - GPL Explaination

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 09:26:45 CET 2004

--- Martin Fuchs <martin-fuchs at gmx.net> wrote:
> > But ROS Explorer is, i think it's indeed a GPL violation...
>
> Explorer only uses this library by linking to the DLL, so I don't
> think it's needed to include the expat source.
> GPL doesn't say you have to use only GPL'ed libraries, does it ?
>
> But if you might think it's better to include the expat source,
> no problem. I can check it in to CVS.

Yes it needs to be in CVS. Not as a rule under the GPL but as part of
ReactOS policy. This is kind of a gray area. There is a exception in
the GPL where you can create GPL programs using non-free libraries but
they must be part of the platform for which you are writing for if the
platform is non-free. The point of this exception is to try and bring
Free-Software to non-free platforms.

A example of this is that if you want to write a clone of the Microsoft
Internet Explorer front-end you can still use Microsofts MSHTML for
your program on Windows.

In any case other than the system library exception, all of the
software you link to falls under the distrabution rules of the GPL
license even if the work you are linking to is not GPL but a GPL
compatible lib. This is why all software you link to with the GPL needs
to be under a GPL compatbile license otherwise you must write your
license as "GPL+exceptions+rules+blah++".

This may sound a little odd but the software in question is already
licensed under a GPL compatible license so its a non-issue. In this
case the only thing the GPL adds is the requirement for a written offer
for the source code. It can still contenue to be shipped/developed
under the X11 license. It is thru this system that the GPL becomes
known as a "Virial license" by those that dont understand or havent
taking the time to read it.

So in closing no you DO NOT have to ship the source with the GPL
program. Only make a written offer, ftp link, etc....but in the ReactOS
projects case we want all software to be part of our distro.

Thanks
Steven