[ros-kernel] BusLogic 958 SCSI miniport

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Tue Mar 23 19:23:56 CET 2004

Bernd Blaauw wrote:

> Vmware Workstation 4.51 can also emulate LSI U320 card.
> (new hardware since 4.5x release).
> Getting LSI drivers working may be a big progress for real world use
> of ReactOS.

I'll get the new VMware on monday propably and test the LSI U320 drivers
then.

> (or does your progress mean almost all SCSI drivers work now?)

NO AFAIK, I just fixed the issues that were there with the specific
driver, it may help other drivers too, but it's nothing outstanding.

> ..and then the press F6 to load driver from diskette
> (or make it "press F6 to load driver from any medium", while you have
> the chance of making ReactOS better than NT/2000/XP in some specific
> areas)

I plan to implement this in future if no one does that first, but it's
not on top of my TODO list yet.

> does this mean SCSI harddisks and cdrom drives are also seen and usable?

With the working driver, yes. Both CD-ROMs and Harddisks were visible
and usable.

> does it speedup things, since SCSI has no PIO (ReactOS wasn't using
> (U)DMA for IDE harddisks, was it?)?

Haven't tried that yet. [The ReactOS got support for IDE with DMA
recently thanks to Hartmut Birr, but the speed increase was marginal.]

> me too, wishing you: congratulations!

Thanks much!

Regards,
Filip