[ros-kernel] Build system - edf files

Aliberti Emanuele ea at iol.it
Wed Mar 24 21:58:02 CET 2004

Martin Fuchs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this may seem to be a silly question to some people, but however...
> I could not find an answer by looking into helper.mk
>
> What are .edf files are used for?
> Their content is mostly identical to the .def files.

Well, I am the father of .edf files. They were born at the beginning of
PE ReactOS, just a few monts later David Welch moved to head the CVS
branch for Mingw (originally, ReactOS was compiled using DJPP).

The .def files are used to build the import library (.a), that is the
client-side proxy entry points the dynamic loader patches in memory when
the PE client image explicitly depends on a DLL (the .a file is
statically linked in the PE client image to make happy ld).

The .edf files are used to build the export section in a PE image,
usually for user- and kernel-mode DLLs. But also NTOSKRNL.EXE and
WIN32K.SYS have an export section.

I was not an happy father then, but we could find no other way to get
decorated names in .a files and undecoraded names in the export section
of an image using a single file. I don't know if recent versions of
Mingw/binutils can get such information from a single file.

Probably a new tool could be written in a week-end to generate .def and
.edf from a single source. I'll look at it in the next days, just to see
if it's that easy.