[ros-kernel] 16-bit dos

lists at silverblade.co.uk lists at silverblade.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 08:44:46 CET 2004

The sales system uses networking to update stock levels, etc. for each
branch, and there's a modem link which is used for updating stock levels
and do inter-branch transfers, and also for the manager to log in and
remotely control the systems.

The systems run Windows 98, with the sales application running in a DOS
session.

Are you seriously saying that we shouldn't include 16-bit application
support, for DOS or even Windows 3.1 apps? I've heard various stories of
companies having to spend lots of money to just migrate old databases from
MS-DOS applications, just so they can continue using them.

This results in possible incompatibilities, staff re-training (to use the
new system), and the newer application may be more unstable than the
original.