[ros-kernel] NTLDR - Can it boot vmlinux on NTFS?

Digital Infra, Inc. okajima at digitalinfra.co.jp
Thu May 20 06:18:18 CEST 2004

Thanks for replying.

>>     1. Can FREELDR boot vmlinux on NTFS with a little hacking?
>
>Not just a little hacking. FreeLoader does not currently have NTFS
>support, but it is needed.
>
>>     2. Do you know how to boot more than 512 bytes code from NTLDR?
>>        Especially, how to boot 2nd of Grub directly from NTLDR?
>
>I don't know. Isn't the dependency on NTLDR a big problem? To require
>a Windows NT license to boot a free OS seems a little stupid to me.

conoppix ( coLinux + KNOPPIX ) is newbie OS.
and it shows some preconditions -
   1. User of conoppix seem to have Windows installed on their HDD.
   2. their Windows is newer version. probably XP, at least Windows 2000.
   3. the partition type is NTFS, most likely.
   4. they dont want to change any settings.
      especially it possibly would make Windows not to work.

Condition 1-3 tell that they use NTLDR as a boot loader.
and condition 4 tells that dont install grub as MBR.

then, the answers would be like this:

    - replacing NTLDR with hacked FREELDR.
    - you manage NTLDR to load vmlinux/2ndGrub/hacked FREELDR.

"hacked FREELDR" means, FREELDR which can read NTFS and can load
vmlinux or 2nd Grub and Windows itself.

your suggestion is very welcome.

                  --- Okajima.