[ros-kernel] ReactOS 0.3.0 Release Plans

Barubary barubary at cox.net
Thu Sep 16 22:38:32 CEST 2004

> I have started a release plan page on the Wiki. The only thing that is
> set in stone is the networking goal for 0.3.0 but there is other stuff
> on here I would like to have us break in to smaller tasks so maybe we
> will get it for 0.3.0. The plan as of now is for networking to be done
> before the end of the year and to release ReactOS 0.3.0 on Jan 1st.
>
> http://mok.lvcm.com/cgi-bin/reactos/roswiki?ReleasePlans
>
> Everyone thank Arty again for his work on getting our baby out the
> door. Also Royce, Alex and everyone else that is working to get us
> online.

Why is it so important to get ReactOS to compile with Visual C--?  Other
than the ability to mark ntoskrnl.exe as a relocatable EXE rather than a DLL
I don't see what the point is...

(I tried looking at the binutils source to see if I could modify it to allow
relocatable EXEs, but it looks impossible without a major rewrite of the PE
code.  The idea that EXEs are never relocatable and DLLs always are is a
fundamental (bad) assumption of the code.  I encountered this problem in my
work with Xbox.)

Melissa