[ros-kernel] ReactOS 0.3.0 Release Plans

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Fri Sep 17 11:45:06 CEST 2004

> From: Steven Edwards
>
> The plan as of now is for networking to be done before the
> end of the year and to release ReactOS 0.3.0 on Jan 1st.

I know Art can speak for himself, and I know the above is not cast in
stone, but still I feel the need to say that I think the combination you
made above is not very good. It means you (we) are imposing a deadline
on work being done by someone else (Art). I'm fine with saying we will
ship 0.3 when networking is usable, I'm also fine with saying we will
ship a release by the end of the year, but in my opinion we should just
release 0.2.5 if networking is not ready. In the immortal words of
Frederick Brooks: "An omelette, promised in 2 minutes, may appear to be
progressing nicely. But when it has not set in two minutes, the customer
has two choices - wait or eat it raw". Networking will be ready when
it's done, as simple as that. Art has made it clear a few times that he
doesn't necessarily want to keep all the networking stuff for himself,
so if anyone feels the development pace should increase please just jump
in.

Ge van Geldorp.