[ros-kernel] ReactOS

Royce Mitchell III royce3 at ev1.net
Mon Sep 20 20:26:56 CEST 2004

Rick Langschultz wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just wanted to say that ReactOS has evolved from what it was a few
> months ago. Being that ReactOS is being built to run windows nt
> programs I figured that I would start a project to run only windows
> 95, 98, 98se programs. Tell me what you think and if you think that
> this would be a good idea. I know it will take a while, but I am
> willing to spend the time. I figure that I will start with sources
> from freedos 32, wine, binutils, some common programs, and a small X
> Windowing system to handle the graphics services. Well tell me what
> you all think. Suggestions are welcome and please tell me about any
> problems that I may face.

Can I recommend a slight alteration in your idea that would have a
better impact? We have designed ReactOS with an "application compability
layer" that is "compatible" with Microsoft's implementation. Most 9x
program are sooo similar that it would just take slight alterations in
behavior to get them working in ReactOS. Then we benefit from being able
to run the largest majority of applications from the single OS. There is
a very tiny subset of applications that are better defined as "system
utilities" that this would obviously never work for, but I imagine that
we should be able to accomodate the vast majority of games and applications