[ros-kernel] Longhorn and ReactOS

Tim Schmidt aumlfs at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 12:27:49 CEST 2004

--- Rick Langschultz <rlangschultz at cox.net> wrote:

> Seeing the potential of something before it happens
> is what the world of
> computing is based upon. If no computer developer
> foresaw Windows 2000,
> ME, XP, 2003, Longhorn, Apple's Mac OS X and Mac OS
> X Server, and others
> we would still be working on computers with 680K of
> memory and disks the
> size of 5 1/4" floppies.

This is very OT, but I just had to disagree...  How
can you 'forsee' a closed operating system (and
associated software) before it's released?  In my
experience, computing in general is a bunch of little
camps all proceeding with their own projects with
little care of what the others are doing (yes, I'm
including the hardware guys too).  Very rarely have I
seen a broad concensus on exactly what a computer (or
network of them) should be like.  For that kind of
thinking Apple will do you well.  But even they are
just another one of those camps working on their own
stuff.  And the same goes for individual developers
(even ones working on a large project).  Of course,
some level of co-ordination is required just to keep
people from breaking each other's stuff, but often,
that's all that's needed.

--tim