[ros-web] RE: Frik webdesign

Mark IJbema mark at ijbema.xs4all.nl
Sun Jun 5 19:48:46 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 05:25:06PM +0200, Klemens Friedl wrote:
> > --- Urspr?ngliche Nachricht ---
> > "Scott" <scotteh at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > As for alignment with css it really depends how far back you want to be
> > compatible with. Because if backwards compatability is the case, the
> > site should probably use as little or no css as possible.
> >
> > I think the site should work in console browsers and the likes of IE5.5+,
> > Firefox and Opera 7+. All of them support basic CSS.
> >

> Compatability:
> I thought IE 4+, Netscape 7+ / Mozilla 1.x+ / Firefox 0.6+, Opera 6+ but I
> am not the one who decide this.

More realistically i'd say:

IE5+
firefox most 0.8
netscape and mozilla don't need to be tested seperately, since they use
the engine of firefox (and netscape also uses the IE engine).
Opera 7.5+ (Opera 6 is _severely_ outdated)
Safari 1.3+
Konqueror 3.3+

I think the number op people using browsers older than that is < 0.1%.
The number of people with disabilities of some sort is around 20%. So
I shouldn't worry too much about backwards compatibility, and more about
accessibility. People can upgrade their browser, but they can't suddenly
shake their disabilities. You can only achieve accessibility through use
of webstandards (semantic html, css). So please use css instead of
tables for design, it's not for nothing that it's demanded by law in
several countries now for governments and/or companies.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

(please note this is only a technical issue, the design doesn't need to
change when switching to css).