ACL agnostic library

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadWolf

Re: ACL agnostic library

Post by MadWolf »

hi

the best way to stay safe on xp is NOT to use IE and and to lock it down so the only page that it will load is windows update and use firefox or pale moon or chrome and install a addblock extension and disconnect or ghostery and enabling Click to Play and if you want to go to adult webpages use sandboxie to sandbox a portable version of the web browser and in the Restrictions/Drop Rights enable drop rights from administrator and power user group
Konata wrote:I don't think UAC is much about babying the user as it is protecting them. You're essentially saying "If I unlock my front door once I want to keep it unlocked".
no uac just gets in the way smart uses ignore it because they know what they are doing dum uses ignore it because thay do not know what they are doing

imho the only time you need to run as a admin is when you are setting up the computer and to install new or update software or installing drivers
Konata

Post by Konata »

People aren't worried about obvious stuff like what can come through the browser, they're worried about vulnerabilities like exploiting a buffer overflow over the network, which is something that devastated Windows 2000 by overflowing the network stack. As XP only ages, people are likely to find exploits like that, and they won't be fixed after they're discovered. Of course, I don't know of any exploits in XP like that, and there's a chance they don't even exist. But it's still a serious concern.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Later on, of course, a system becomes less vulnerable as there is little point in trying to hack older o/ses as there are so few of them around. Hackers want to attack the great mass of systems not one little old lady's legacy system in an attic.

In that vein I should imagine it is quite safe to run a networked Windows 3.11 system as very few hackers will be looking to exploit a Windows 3.11 vulnerability. As the numbers of XP systems drop we could imagine a time when hackers start looking elsewhere... They are looking for easy routes to exploit.

At the moment a Windows XP system is certainly more secure than many of the linux variants utilising BASH. Single user non-networked versions of XP behind solid firewalls with antimalware/antivirus tools and backup strategies in place are still pretty safe to use. My browsing is done behind a sandbox or simply on another machine. Using IE is a no-no, downloading zipped files needs to be done safely, network access disabled by default.

Regardless of how content I feel about using XP this list will make you sit up and take note... a list of XP vulnerabilities, most are denial of service and would mostly affect servers and the like, many are IE related and some are networking and explorer vulnerabilities.

http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability ... ws-Xp.html
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

One important way of securing an XP system is to let your children NOWHERE near your desktop/laptop. Children are trojans that some malware writers need to have in place in order to infect your PC. Children are intelligent bypassers of security that will take any chance to play any game that takes their fancy even if infected. If they can't read then all the better for the malware writers as it means they will bypass messages and install anyway! Keep your kiddies away. Give them a tablet instead.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Wow! The malware writers put a lot of effort into it if they are going around impregnating PC users' wives in order to produce kids who will break into your PC for them... ;)

But yes, I agree with the sentiment, and it should also go for adults who think like kids. "That stranger can't do anything to me, he has good candy..."
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:Wow! The malware writers put a lot of effort into it if they are going around impregnating PC users' wives in order to produce kids who will break into your PC for them... ;)

But yes, I agree with the sentiment, and it should also go for adults who think like kids. "That stranger can't do anything to me, he has good candy..."
Hm. It's strange how some things are subconsciously getting ingrained into our brain as a bias. Because, it could be a 'she' too.

So it gives the impression that (candy from) 'men' are not to be trusted, but it's alright if it's a woman? ;-)

If it were reversed, I'm sure the first ones to yell would be feminists shouting 'sexism!'...

This as an aside. I just notice it when something isn't really logical.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Actually, he is a default pronoun in proper English.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:Actually, he is a default pronoun in proper English.
That's sexist on itself. ;)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Webunny wrote:That's sexist on itself. ;)
Lets carry this to another thread...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Feck sexism in this context- it is not relevant to this thread and there was no need to even make reference to it.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Feck sexism in this context- it is not relevant to this thread and there was no need to even make reference to it.
Actually, the whole "let your children NOWHERE near your desktop/laptop" was already irrelevant to the thread and had nothing to do with an ACL agnostic library. There was no need to make any reference to it neither. 8-)