What do you think of Unix Like systems?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Linuxgamer94

What do you think of Unix Like systems?

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

Ok So I have been using Linux for about a year and a half or so and I love it. Now for all of you Windows/React OS fanboys please leave the room before I have to aks a mod to remove you for spaming the thread and harasing the members in it. Yes, I know some moron will try to be a big shot. I just like to say I have lots of space to like many OS's.

Now I know that most of us have tried many Unix like OS's. I have tried:
GNU/Linux
PC-BSD
Open Solaris
Open Indiana
Nextra OS Enterprise
Solaris
OSX
GhostBSD
MidnightBSD
BlueEyed OS
Now I love Linux and I am currently running Linux Mint 15 and working on my own dirivative base on it. I recently tried PC-BSD and While it crashes in a VM do to my BIOS it was able to run sort of. Half of the time it would install the other half it would report a x.org error and even after I did install it nothing worked and I just gave up and put the disro Start OS on it. Now I used OSX many time in Jr and High school and I did not like it. Why, simple the GUI and keyboard short cuts and that stupid mouse did not make any thing better. I hope that Darwin, Pure Darwin, GNU/Darwin, and DarwinBSD wipe them out. I then found out that OSX is based on FreeBSD and since then I hated Apple with a passion, just like Windows. I tried Solaris and I hated it. It was slow,laggy and it just sucked (censerd) and I had similer results with Opensolaris and Open Indiana. I thought MidnightBSD would be decent to try to expand my Unix knowage, but I could not even get the installer to work. What is your experiance with the Unix family guys?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: What do you think of Unix Like systems?

Post by EmuandCo »

I use Linux in my Android Phone and my Xtrend ET9200 SAT Receiver. Meaning ONLY in embedded systems. All my PCs are and will stay Windows systems. Meaning Windows 8.1 and a Essentials Server 2012.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

I like to use Linux systems. If you install software from trusted sources you will never get such crapware like browserbars or free anti virus software like on windows. Also you don't need to install software for easy things like creating bootable usb sticks or clone drives (e.g. dd shell command).

My favourite distribution is Ubuntu even if everyone is complaining about their own developments. I think they are doing right because there are tons of unneeded distribution which are all the same shit. Ubuntu is going to be an independent OS with Linux kernel but not the same thing which already exists 1000 times. If it comes one day that common linux apps doesn't run native on ubuntu because they have other "standards" I can live with this because for me it is the first real alternative to windows for end users. I runs ootb you get a bunch of free and also proprietary software for it. (at least more as for other distributions).
It has an easy to use desktop (even if different than explorer shell or modern UI) and IMHO it is the free OS with the best quality and ease of use for end users.
fred02

Re: What do you think of Unix-like systems?

Post by fred02 »

Ok, I'll bite the bait too. :twisted:
OSX worked on/with (and around :roll: ) it some years ago. Good OS, quite stable: only 4-5 fatal crashes on 2 machines in more than a year. Dual booting Windows and being able to run the same installation in a VM on OSX is a riot. Best OpenGL performance on integrated intel GPUs. Not good for Java development (JDK updates were lagging at the time). Also, if you need something that is not in MacPorts/Fink, then most of the time you are on your own: Apple (fan)boys says that if it is not here by default "you don't need it" and Linux fans suggest "getting a real OS" (but newer say which one :twisted: ).
Linuxgamer94 wrote:I then found out that OSX is based on FreeBSD
Ah, and please note that OSX is not based on FreeBSD. Also, actually it is not a Unix-like, but a "certified" Unix03. ;)

Solaris up to 10 (Unices98/03). Only on SPARC hardware. Stable. Would not qualify as an "everyday" OS already at the time, and even less now: browsers not up to date, out-of-date Flash Player, old hardware. Was THE platform for Java development, but nowadays Windows JVM is better.

OpenBSD. As a rooter/firewall. Stable, reliable, LOGICAL (once you read and understood the documentation :) ). No surprises, no lost settings/configs, no fluff (unless you install it yourself :mrgreen: ). Used as a workstation too, but had hardware that was not fully supported at the time, so no OpenGL and no Wi-Fi.

DesktopBSD: FreeBSD for all and everyone. Was indeed easy to install and use ports, while retaining full access and compatibility with the underlying OS. Pretty responsive too. Pity that the development stopped.

PC-BSD: Another attempt at the above, but much less appealing, IMHO. Initial versions diverged too much from the FreeBSD, and KDE 4 made everything painfully slow. Also don't like the philosophy (actually same as in OSX) of bundling all the libraries within the program. :( It seems that nowadays it evolved more into a shell/desktop GUI, while preserving the whole underlying FreeBSD, so may be should try it again.

SUSE server: Mainly via SSH from Windows :twisted:, sometimes with Xming :ugeek: . Stable and reliable, just be careful with patches and updates. Ah, and don't install fancy stuff, no matter how hard users ask you. But this is true for any server, Windows included, and any OS in general. As a side note, it might come as a shock, but WinME was quite stable actually, IF used in purely work environment, with controlled software and not to many doc viruses (server-side mail scan and compulsory scan of all removable media).
Last edited by fred02 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

Well the typical obvious points about why i d'ont like GNULinux...

Command line based=Cumbersome Install anythink offline and internet dependeable.

Mi adventures whit PC was start at around 1997, Windows95/MS-DOS and executing something whit command line results me cumbersome, not to mention copying files whit DOS command line still scary to me.

If not olny typing keyboard to install apps results to me cumbersome (think i used until i abandoned at all after MS-DOS dead), to worsen it even more i should install "dependencies" to get running the app, (i personally preffer name it libraries), off course all of this is the "offline" option.

Off course if i want the non-cumbersome way above mentioned i must turn 100% internet dependeable.

Nowadays i can't understand why in Windows is possible run almost any app (emulator, media player, burning soft, etc..) whitout installing any librarie. An experienced GNULinux user told me what the desing to not include libraries wich probably will never be needed for your favorite apps is to consume HDD space only as needed. Yes, i know GNULinux distros whit a bunch of dependencies included in DVD GNULINUX distros (and this not avoid the lack of some dependencies to run an app) or even extra discs but ironically the amount of space reserved for this is TITANIC.
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

OSX is base off of BSD, just strip away all that crap and you will find your Keranl aka Darwin that is a modified FreeBSD Mach kernal with crap tossed in and even Apples Aqua slap on X.org, y.org, w.org, or Xfree86 and boom. So what if Linux needs the internet it has always been that way and even Linux Torvalds said "Linux was born on the web", Linux Format. Maby React OS can learn a few things. For example having log in screens that use HTML 5, GUI changer like Zorin does, be free as freedom and as in price, code and not talk, be as open as possible, and I am out of ideas now. :D Now I have not used Minux 3, but it looks decent. Now not to be rude or any thing, but it seems like alot of people are verry hostil to people who like diffrent OS's and if you like a diffrent OS then fine. Does it seem that Unix based OS are the most common, yup and only second place to Windows as both OSX witch is in second place and Linux witch is in thrid are both Unix and Unix-like systoms. Now ya their are OS's that are based on Be OS, and OS/2 and some like Dex OS are complely indipendent, and I do hope that eventualy the huge chunk of Windows users will break up and go to diffrent OS's and help spread the difersity of OS's and software available, wether online in an repo or in a paper box at the store.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I like Linux, but i prefer Windows and i like ReactOS more than Windows, because ReactOS is fully customizable, and as for now, it is faster, lighter and less resource spender than Windows, si that are some pros.

However, Linux and Windows are currently more stable than ReactOS, but that does not keeps me from backing up the project :)

Also, i like other projects like KolibriOS, FirefoxOS and HaikuOS

I have dual OS on my PC:
Windows 7 x64 and Xubuntu
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The inaccuracies of your rambling would be amusing if it wasn't so misinforming and incomprehensible. The OSX kernel is derived from Mach, which has no meaningful relation to FreeBSD. What Apple did was use code from FreeBSD to update the BSD components of Mach and that is the only relation on OSX's side. OSX's graphical subsystem has never relied on X Windows (and for damn good reason) and it is only available for compatibility purposes with applications that are not written to the native graphics API.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

[quote="Linuxgamer94"][/quote]

Is hostile to me when mainly people uses Android and/or Apple tech in mobiles devices, tablets, etc... but they uses 99% times Windows on PCs and even worse, they never tried install a GNULinux distro in ours PCs (not mention desktop Apple OSes wich seems a torture install in PC) or mainly people who purchases a console gaming system and don't care wich based OS and/or based hardware (this last for mobile devices, tablets, etc... too).
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Right, I don't care about the console hardware or OS. They are embedded systems doing ONE task. Running my games in good quality and the only reason to buy a specific new console are the exclusive games. Its ABSOLUTLY boring for anyone who does not code games for it or is pro hacking (Yeah yeah, I DO care outta that reason ^^). Any discussion in that direction is just GNUism and nothing more. Ah and outta personal reasons I would never buy a Sony console. I use Android on my mobile, too, yeah. Same reason, it s a fine embedded system OS for that task and its not that locked up as IOS is. (Before that I had a iPhone 4) And the most important one... whats bad on using Windows on PCs? I used Linux for a while and switched back immediately after I found about 20 programs I need to use daily do not run on Linux. Wine is nice, but at that point I already decided to switch back to the real thing to let the apps run as good as they can. And no, I dont care to run any clones for anything if I own the original. So, no half useable Libre Office (Office 2013 owner), no VLC and libbluray/libaacs games (PowerDVD 13 owner), no Samba console odyssey, no driver hunting for scanner and printer, DirectX support. Etcetcetc
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

EmuandCo wrote:And no, I dont care to run any clones for anything if I own the original.
No offense, but to create a clone is not the point of ROS?
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

mametoc wrote: Is hostile to me when mainly people uses Android and/or Apple tech in mobiles devices, tablets, etc... but they uses 99% times Windows on PCs and even worse, they never tried install a GNULinux distro in ours PCs (not mention desktop Apple OSes wich seems a torture install in PC) or mainly people who purchases a console gaming system and don't care wich based OS and/or based hardware (this last for mobile devices, tablets, etc... too).
I don't see any hostility in such preferences. To each, each's.
Apple OSes are a torture to install on PCs because they are not supposed to be that way. IIRC, their license says clearly they should be ran on a Mac, so doing otherwise is like piracy.

I do use Xubuntu as my main OS (even while I own a copy of Windows 8 that came with my laptop, and I found it pretty good, I've got my preference and that's it), but I find people who tries too hard to evangelize annoying. Just give the goddamn option and quit with the insistence. If people don't like it, they don't like it. If they are closed minded and don't want to try something else, let them be so (except if they hurt your rights, of course, but it's not the case).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Vulture wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:And no, I dont care to run any clones for anything if I own the original.
No offense, but to create a clone is not the point of ROS?
ReactOS is an implementation of the NT architecture with a Win32 subsystem. So technically, no, we're not a clone.
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Z98 wrote:ReactOS is an implementation of the NT architecture with a Win32 subsystem. So technically, no, we're not a clone.
As Samba is an implementation of CIFS. Trying to reproduce the exact same behaviour of Windows sounds cloning to me more than support for a file format like (any) MS Office alternatives or Media players. Any *nix clone implementing Posix is less clone than ROS because (maybe) only source compatibility is achieved but the implementation is to large extent totally different. The same thing could not be said about ROS. So despising clones, but using (and working on) what is basically a "clone" to run "real things" seems quite illogical to me. Oh, by the way, I love clones, especially if they work. :)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS is in the same way a clone as Libre Office is. Compatibility to a format. Same behavior to the world outside. Totally different inside. What makes ROS interesting is that many ppl would like to see things made different in Windows. Office is quite fine the way it is.