MS wants Nerds to help get Windows XP away from grandma

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Blackcrack

MS wants Nerds to help get Windows XP away from grandma

Post by Blackcrack »

Hi,

i have read an Artikel from an Linuxforum/Gnu-Forum and have show a thing what we can using ..

http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 908#p17906

and i have wrote :
Blackcrack wrote: humm, why they are not help to become an Reactos, because,
they have not much to learn.. if reactos usable ? because,
Reactos it is also GPL have inside an actual technical
only the Surface it's like XP .. all other it is an NT like MS NT Win8.1 it is ..

We are should not forget, the MS it is bad, the Politic around it is bad and the Politic of the states it is bad,
the window.. no more directly, the Software, can not be bad .. Why do we not make possibility to have various facets of Systems.
why do we are not work purposeful for an "multiculty" Ordering landscape with NT with Linux and BSD also Menuet/kolibri Ordering Systems, because they are all unter Open Source AND(don't forget) helps in diffrent way's.. so why shold we are not use the old useful Win-Software further .. in an open source WinNT or even maby in wine also.. so, don't forget, Reactos works together with wine !

Reactos can be our best Frend in the part of WinNT as workstation also ! The Factorys can support Reactos also, because, no more be dependent on American corporations and laws !! No more licence cost of a Copie from an Ordering System. This is an Change for shooting up and put round/knok down Microsoft and the nsa-thing with Open Source . in one Open Source Family ! For this should we are Advertising for Reactos for an Open Source WinNT ! This can be our shoot/ change !
i be in both/systems systems at home .. and i have no problem to thinking in more as only 2 way's ..
don't write anything now , think about and maybe can you use this for you ..

the 2nd thing what i have see in the last weeks, the Linux Buddy's in GPL, forget , why be fighting again
Microsoft and the Politik behind .. they forget also why we are works against Microsoft , i think, we schould
call them again in the remembrance. Also to be not the Surface the important , you have to tell them and
in the memory of call, that the engine is the important,not the Surface and Microsoft like may conceal (MS like to hold in the hidden)

Because the most peoples looks on the Surface and work via visible things and with Gui,
other want the peoples not see and it is able to forget , because, it mus easy work ..

We must also be made to understand, that wine is implemented with a ReactOS,
because that is often forgotten and concealed ..

there for it is necessary, the the people always on the underlying technology and the possibilities of the public source code worth pointing out, to make them sensible, that very reason it is also necessary the linux friends in GPLto have behind us and explain to them how important it is, that we now have the change to engage and to make real friends to be able to support us in these times... also in the Linuxcommunitys ..

best regards
Blacky
tomleem

Re: MS wants Nerds to help get Windows XP away from grandma

Post by tomleem »

'Backlash slaps Microsoft's 'help-a-friend-dump-XP' plea'
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article ... ectionfeed

'Help your friends and family get off Windows XP'
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/wind ... ws-xp.aspx

Perhaps this is motivation to continue developing ReactOS so that it can be a viable option to Microsoft's Windows? :?: The posts/replies at the above two sites indicate a displeasure with Microsoft (over half the posts are like that). :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

tomleem wrote:'

'Help your friends and family get off Windows XP'
http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/wind ... ws-xp.aspx
The comments are great :D
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

humm, why not speaking with Microsoft and offering Microsoft to take the XP-Users and support them further,
if they are get the Sourcecode from XP as OpenSource and make it possible to get
the community and make it possible for have XP as Open Source *giggle*

simply , to get ReactOS previously .. *lol*

but they should before remove the code from NSA *rofl*

oky, in serious, why not tell they are all, to be Reactos exist
and they are all can help to make Reactos more finish with Support with money
or tell the Factorys to be exist Reactos and they can support an Open Source WinNT
for have not more so hight licence cost.
This offers the possibility right now ReactOS to bring in the game, puplic !

best regards
Blacky
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Alternate title: "MS wants Nerds to help take more money from grandma"

And remember, the only version of Windows that is readily available in stores is that smelly TURD Windows 8.

They put Windows 8 on Grandmas' machine, and she will write them out of her will :P

Bill, Balmer, or whoever is running that disaster these days can get Bent. Windows XP will continue to stay in use for a long, long, long, long, long, LONG time.

But more realistically, real nerds should get their grandmas an Android (Linux) tablet to use at her leisure when she is not at the Windows XP machine, and perhaps one day she will not be using Windows at all. Assuming she is not dead first.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

gonzoMD wrote:The comments are great :D
Indeed:
SomeGuy wrote:And remember, the only version of Windows that is readily available in stores is that smelly TURD Windows 8.
overblown phone OS.
The best characteristic I ever heard (read).

I also liked this "essay", which summarises current Microsoft's business strategy pretty well:
Let me give you an analogy that might help you understand why Microsoft messed up SO badly with Windows 8:

Microsoft is the middle-aged husband who has a wonderful, attractive, and faithful wife (your long time paying customers). Granted she's aging, but she's never been anything but 100% faithful and has always taken great care of you, touting your virtues to others at every step of the way - and even getting people to see things your way..

Suddenly, new-hotness walks by (the tablet/phone market), and you're smitten. She's not very smart, but she's *hot*. You're in *love* again! Meanwhile, your wife is horrified, heartbroken, and livid, as you completely and recklessly abandon your 20 years of faithful marriage to go chase after the young hottie (and here's the biggest fail:) who isn't interested in you *anyway*. But you *still* chase her, thinking she'll make you feel young and attractive again. Meanwhile, your wife is pissed as hell and is now filing for divorce. New hotness, who is fickle and not into you, flits off to her cute boyfriend (Apple), leaving you with NOTHING. Not your wife, not half your stuff, and certainly not the new-hotness you were lusting after.

Does this make sense?
(He forgot to tell about her other hippy/geeky green fat boy friend.) :lol:
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

my questions for microsoft
ok Ms are you going to give me 50% of a new copy of windows 7 if no then i am staying with my windows xp sp3 lite install i have a lot of xp installs i am not going to recommend a OS that i do not like using if i stop playing PC games then i will bin windows and install Linux

why am i going to stop using a OS that still works ??

Ms when are you going to learn that the metro interface is a dead horse and you need to go back to the classic 2k interface i can write a novel why windows vista / 7 /8 / 8.1 interface is rubbish

ms why are you not releasing a sp 2 for windows 7 ??
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

fred02 wrote:
gonzoMD wrote:The comments are great :D
Indeed:
SomeGuy wrote:And remember, the only version of Windows that is readily available in stores is that smelly TURD Windows 8.
overblown phone OS.
The best characteristic I ever heard (read).

I also liked this "essay", which summarises current Microsoft's business strategy pretty well:
Let me give you an analogy that might help you understand why Microsoft messed up SO badly with Windows 8:

Microsoft is the middle-aged husband who has a wonderful, attractive, and faithful wife (your long time paying customers). Granted she's aging, but she's never been anything but 100% faithful and has always taken great care of you, touting your virtues to others at every step of the way - and even getting people to see things your way..

Suddenly, new-hotness walks by (the tablet/phone market), and you're smitten. She's not very smart, but she's *hot*. You're in *love* again! Meanwhile, your wife is horrified, heartbroken, and livid, as you completely and recklessly abandon your 20 years of faithful marriage to go chase after the young hottie (and here's the biggest fail:) who isn't interested in you *anyway*. But you *still* chase her, thinking she'll make you feel young and attractive again. Meanwhile, your wife is pissed as hell and is now filing for divorce. New hotness, who is fickle and not into you, flits off to her cute boyfriend (Apple), leaving you with NOTHING. Not your wife, not half your stuff, and certainly not the new-hotness you were lusting after.

Does this make sense?
(He forgot to tell about her other hippy/geeky green fat boy friend.) :lol:

Meh. While fun to read, as an actual valid analogy it's pretty mediocre, to be frank.

MS wanting windows on smartphones and tablets has litle comparison with being married and going after a new hottie. MS isn't married with PC's nor PC-customers; in essence, any company is only married to profit and stakeholders. There is NO vow of faithfulness between the two, and even if there was, one could only conclude that the customers (aka, the 'wife' in the comparison/analogy) were unfaithful to begin with. Because it were the *customers* who first flocked to the new hottie (smartphones etc.) and left their PC (and thus MS/windows) in the cold. So the whole analogy breaks already apart.

The truth is far less prosaic: MS saw a new market and wanted a piece of it. They tried with windows 8, but didn't really succeed, and by making a hybrid attempt, they tried to serve two different platforms at once. Usually, such a thing never works good.

That said, if they had provided a simple, easy way for PC-users to turn it back into a win7-like GUI which their usual base was used to, while keeping the new GUI for touchscreens and tablets and the like, they would have faired a lot better. People are by their very nature pretty conservative, so it's a bad idea to *force* people to use a GUI they aren't used to, didn't ask for and had no need for (on a PC)... and in that case, it becomes a matter of 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

ms why are you not releasing a sp 2 for windows 7
This means backporting half of Windows 8 userland into Windows 7. Even Microsoft has a supply chain to depend on to earn money. Even developing a new OS would be better than backporting half of Windows 8 userland economically.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

there with we are in the possible to make it better.. at start and not so like MS made in Win8, right ?
and.. we have not make money with this system, we have for look to works correctly for all and be save ..
... in direction in different american facility's :? .. because open source ..

best regards
Blacky
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Webunny wrote:MS isn't married with PC's nor PC-customers; in essence, any company is only married to profit and stakeholders.
Profits have to come from someone, and it is not shareholders. Most of them are investments trusts, so they can't care less about the look and feel of the product, as long as it brings dividends at the end of the year. And they certainly will not advertise a new OS version to their friends and relatives.
Webunny wrote:There is NO vow of faithfulness between the two, and even if there was, one could only conclude that the customers (aka, the 'wife' in the comparison/analogy) were unfaithful to begin with. Because it were the *customers* who first flocked to the new hottie (smartphones etc.) and left their PC (and thus MS/windows) in the cold. So the whole analogy breaks already apart.
Nop, it is more like as there is a new waitress in the cafeteria next to work place. She is nice looking, smiling and serves good coffees. All the coworkers prise her in the office and loves to go there on each coffee break, but then faithfully get back to their XPs and Sevens wives to get the job done. And everybody is happy as long as everyone stays at its place. But then the boss (Microsoft) have a "great idea": since everybody like her, let hire her as a secretary, this way everybody will stay at work and will be more productive. Except that long legs and pretty smile does not make one finish this urgent report by Monday, especially since she was not trained as typist. And everybody in the office wanting to help her with the copy machine every time isn't helping either.
Oh well, at least the coffee is still good. :P
Webunny wrote:The truth is far less prosaic: MS saw a new market and wanted a piece of it. They tried with windows 8, but didn't really succeed, and by making a hybrid attempt, they tried to serve two different platforms at once. Usually, such a thing never works good.

That said, if they had provided a simple, easy way for PC-users to turn it back into a win7-like GUI which their usual base was used to, while keeping the new GUI for touchscreens and tablets and the like, they would have faired a lot better. People are by their very nature pretty conservative, so it's a bad idea to *force* people to use a GUI they aren't used to, didn't ask for and had no need for (on a PC)... and in that case, it becomes a matter of 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'.
It is called "business strategy". To have a part of the tablet/smart phone market one need a platform and a store. And it is a catch 22 situation: a platform is useless (well, more like profitless) without software, and nobody will write a software for some obscure platform. To make things even more difficult there is Apple holding the minds and wallets of almost everybody and a rascal fatty green contender pretending to be an open friend to everybody. So what would you do? Exactly! Use an asset that none of them have: a monopoly on the desktop. By changing its interface to be similar to the tablet's one, you can say, yes, it is different, but better :twisted: , and it will be the same everywhere: phone, tablet, console. Ah, and to be sure that there will be phones with your new interface, you acquire a former major player on the mobile phone market. Also, incidentally, the main language to be used to develop for the new tablet/phone is the one that happen to be controlled by you too. Actually: the development language for the desktop is this one too. And here you have: "write once run everywhere (as long as it belongs to us)". Lured by more sales, programmers develop for the Metro desktop and then with minimal effort adapt to tablet or phone. Your store flourishes.
There was never attention to serve two platforms at once, everything was geared toward tablets and appstore. This is why Windows 8 came bundled with Metro-oriented .Net 4.5 (then unreleased!), and why it was a subtly incompatible but in-place update for other platforms ( :arrow: develop Metro-ready). This is why Start screen was the default. This is why there was only one Metro app on your 40inch+ monitor (hello DOS :lol: ). That's why there is no more backup: tablets don't use it because they store on the cloud.
cameroncr95

Post by cameroncr95 »

First off, clearly Microsoft thinks that all computers that shipped with XP can run 8? LOL!
Second, they say we should buy a NEW ONE if it cant? How about they GIVE us a new one instead, considering many people are in financial trouble right now but they have so much cash...

and third, upgrade to 8? Please... id rather die.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I have a Windows 8 on a notebook computer but I am trying to install a different operating system. Windows 8 was frustrating, especially on a computer that was not made to run it. :x

I have a netbook that had Windows 7 on it. It did not do so well. I am also trying to install a different operating system on it. 8-) I think WinXP was great for netbooks.

I am so over Windows. :x
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Alahndro

Post by Alahndro »

To sumarize my experience with Hardware and MS

On my loved old XP laptop I CAN do:
- listening to music
- watching videos (SD resolution), even h264
- Surfing the Web
- Office Work
- CAD / CAE

I CAN NOT do:
Install the lastest MS OS.

...how convinient!

To show you how win7 performs in comparison to XP, i tested Xvid video playback, SD resolution (anamorph 16:9), ffdshow codec, mpc-hc set to VMR7 render:

XP: Codec needs about 40%, system apx 10%.
System means catching datastream over wifi and overlay surface.

Win7: Codec still needs 40-50%, but system needs 50%.
And the CPU isn't at 100% at all, cause the playback buffer is empty ?!

...hillarious!

Don't get me wrong, i have an 8x4.0 Ghz Machine in the other room, but that is no reason to dump my loved old, cared for, hardware modified, silverblue laptop with a true 4:3 display.

'nough said!
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Alahndro wrote:with a true 4:3 display.
Let me guess, it is matte too. :ugeek: