can we stop supporting closed source please?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

React-ozination

Post by React-ozination »

as i can see inside the "Advanced Downloads" part, there is builds for VMware.

i think (ofcourse and im just a user that i would like to hear your thoughts) that if really no body care at all to any non-free closed source software = our life would really much easier regarding open source community.

why would someone wasting his time and management to produce open source nice idea OS to work inside closed source environment?

because there is also another dimension of the equation that we are not focusing on , by what u r doing u r encouraging the user to use closed source stuff which is really unwelcome idea.

open source supporting open source only is really nice and should always work like that.

Thank You
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: can we stop supporting closed source please?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

The horrible, sad truth is VMware performs better and faster then, let's say, VirtualBox. I personally use VirtualBox, but some people prefer performance over everything else, especially if they are testing games out. Unfortunately, this isn't just limited to just this situation. This applies to a lot of other things, too, like DX12 has better performance over Vulkan. Same thing with direct x 9-11 vs OpenGL. Same thing with closed source drivers vs open-source drivers.

But I know what you mean. They even use Coverity for a static analyzer, which is closed source. Cppcheck is a nice open-source tool, but unfortunately, much like the situation stated above, Coverity has a wider range coverage then cppcheck does.

As long as it is completely optional, it shouldn't be an issue. The developers have already stated anything they code for ReactOS will be completely open-source.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We code ROS to be able to run any closed source Windows application free and open sourced. These are what makes WIndows great and what Linux does not have. Linux is every single script kiddie knows better (he thinks at least) and a fork of a fork of a fork is the answer. Noone does combine manpower and this makes Linux so obsolete. They could do way better, but not that way. We will NOT remove any closed source application from anywhere and we will not switch to worse solutions just to be able to say that we now can easier comb our GNUtard beard. Sorry, but NOPE.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Can we ensure ReactOS is home-grown and organic? ;)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Solution: Reject any code from Microsoft even if it is open sourced under GPLv2.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

React-ozination wrote:as i can see inside the "Advanced Downloads" part, there is builds for VMware.

i think (ofcourse and im just a user that i would like to hear your thoughts) that if really no body care at all to any non-free closed source software = our life would really much easier regarding open source community.

why would someone wasting his time and management to produce open source nice idea OS to work inside closed source environment?

because there is also another dimension of the equation that we are not focusing on , by what u r doing u r encouraging the user to use closed source stuff which is really unwelcome idea.

open source supporting open source only is really nice and should always work like that.

Thank You
<rant_mode>

Let me allow you to take your argument and adapt it for real-life usage case:

Have you thought for 1 second that your fancy private whatever Linux you're currently running on, is running on a closed-source environment called "your PC" ?
Aka. as long as you're not one of the well-known chip manufacturer, I very doubt you've built yourself (or used "open-hardware") RAM chips, motherboard, or CPU.
In other words, all of you open-source fanatiks are wasting your time to produce such software but you're (all?) running Inside closed-source environment.
And you're also encouraging users to use closed-"source" hardware which is also a really unwelcome idea, because hardware vendors can have some hidden links with e.g. the NSA, CIA, FSB, & so on, and could spy on you even if you're using your shiny FOSS stuff.

</rant_mode>
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Awwww, crap. hbelusca was faster....
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
React-ozination

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: he horrible, sad truth is VMware performs better and faster then, let's say, VirtualBox. I personally use VirtualBox, but some people prefer performance over everything else, especially if they are testing games out
VMware better than virtualbox ? i used both and im mainly vbox user never saw a diff.
like DX12 has better performance over Vulkan
u r talking about a Vulkan which initiated just about 1 year ago ? its like comparing react OS with windows and saying oh hey look how windows is amazing!!
direct x 9-11 vs OpenGL
from technical pointview its not a fair comparison, because openGL goals is different than DirectX (though yes there r some similarity between them but the focus is different). to short the time read here

also never forget the platforms compatibility all DX r for windows and only windwos the rest r cross platforms ...etc and so on from multiple advantages that u can get on specially long term usage rather the propriety programs
As long as it is completely optional, it shouldn't be an issue. The developers have already stated anything they code for ReactOS will be completely open-source.
thats correct , and i hope React OS will do as it is claim to be open source. but not like Ubuntu ofcourse... (playing with words but actually u r in bifaces technology installed i dont think it will work anymore in the future , because users more and more r knowing what is their rights to use when its coming to open source projects.

Thank you
Last edited by React-ozination on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
middings

Post by middings »

This topic belongs in the Off Topic forum. This political question is not a topic for the Support forum.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Do we have an off-grammar section? ;)
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
React-ozination

EmuandCo wrote:We code ROS to be able to run any closed source Windows application free and open sourced.
no body has problem with that.
These are what makes WIndows great and what Linux does not have. Linux is every single script kiddie knows better (he thinks at least) and a fork of a fork of a fork is the answer. Noone does combine manpower and this makes Linux so obsolete.
is this technical facts or non-sense speech ?

i think its mostly falling into non-realistic speech. sorry sir with all do respect but u seems dont know anything about how much linux world achieved ahead from what windows achieved in the past 20+ years. (oh please dont tell me my super mario game has no compatibility on linux. im speaking from programmatic pointview). compare nowadays usage regarding security,privacy,flexibility, or maybe starting from servers to mobiles to home desktop usage. c which one is filling more, linux/unix or windows.
They could do way better, but not that way. We will NOT remove any closed source application from anywhere and we will not switch to worse solutions just to be able to say that we now can easier comb our GNUtard beard. Sorry, but NOPE.
when u have some manners in ur speech i will continue the discussion with u.

(maybe u read this Why Arguing That Windows is Better Than Linux Makes You Look Silly).
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

So you come here and rant about our project politics and your first posts not just do that, but also you call a moderator/developer a nonsense speaker. Congratulations man, you just earned a 1st warning of two in a record time frame here.

"Why Arguing That Windows is Better Than Linux Makes You Look Silly" - No need to read that because I work with Windows in a IT company for maaaany customers and see the benefits over anything else every day.

If nothing serious is happening here after that I ignore you from now on. I have no interest in a GNUtard troll coming here instead of IRC like last time. There are some ppl in the world who just don't know what they are talking about, never worked in a commercial IT environment or if they did are no serious competition to others in that section as it seems. Next thing you will tell us is that VBox >>>>> HyperV huh?

React-ozination

hbelusca wrote:Let me allow you to take your argument and adapt it for real-life usage case:

Have you thought for 1 second that your fancy private whatever Linux you're currently running on, is running on a closed-source environment called "your PC" ?
yeah so?

Aka. as long as you're not one of the well-known chip manufacturer, I very doubt you've built yourself (or used "open-hardware") RAM chips, motherboard, or CPU.
it would be great ofcourse , but thats not a problem if im not using it.
In other words, all of you open-source fanatiks are wasting your time to produce such software but you're (all?) running Inside closed-source environment.And you're also encouraging users to use closed-"source" hardware which is also a really unwelcome idea, because hardware vendors can have some hidden links with e.g. the NSA, CIA, FSB, & so on, and could spy on you even if you're using your shiny FOSS stuff.
well firstly , there is no yet any alternatives to closed source hardware pc that someone can use (not like vmware and vbox or qemu or even xen virtualization)

so u r comparing a solid ground open source virtual environment exist and it compete against the closed source one, with the idea of open hardware which there is no full pc yet in the market to compete with the others closed source pcs.

secondly u seems to have security concept issues, even though if there is a hidden malware in the hardware it has no effect on the operating system unless there will be a response from the OS itself. so its backdoor/hidden vulnerability , and thats u wont have it with open source operating systems specially who take cares of the user security like Debian,Qubes ....etc.

so using shiny FOSS stuff is useful against these types of attacks. [/quote]

btw all what i did , is asking simple question or request. and as i can c most replies more likely an attack rather than a reply, so im wondering if an open source project has this influence for closed source one = what is the future of ROS...

how it will do what already been claimed in the website.

Thank You
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

React-ozination wrote: [...]
secondly u seems to have security concept issues, even though if there is a hidden malware in the hardware it has no effect on the operating system unless there will be a response from the OS itself. so its backdoor/hidden vulnerability , and thats u wont have it with open source operating systems specially who take cares of the user security like Debian,Qubes ....etc.
[...]
Objection: you can have a chipset vendor (worse, for EFI platforms for example, the EFI firmware manufacturer), who can program the chip so that it dumps (parts of) the HDD data and transmits it over the internet through the Ethernet controller, behind the back of your OS, even if you're using QubesOS or whatever else. There are other numerous examples.
For example:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2948092/ ... talls.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3179348/ ... tkits.html
(for EFI stuff)
and http://www.zdnet.com/article/hardware-b ... nreliable/ , or http://hackaday.com/2015/06/08/hard-dri ... ersistent/ .
val

Post by val »

u seems dont know anything about how much linux world achieved ahead from what windows achieved in the past 20+ years.
it's actually very easy to not see what is non-existent. ... unless you are in the Stallman sect, they really have problems with reality.

It's actually funny how longstanding this butthurt is. If linux fans were that active in development, as they are in butthurting about Windows, linux had already around 3% of the desktop market share. instead of <1% :lol:

If you believe linux is superior, then you, teaching the local community, collected around an NT-clone OS to drop support for what you think is "bad" (as in bad beer and bad speech) look especially stupid. why do you care? go and recompile your god given kernel. :lol:
You know what is worse than linux itself in your communities? these annoying fanatics. arrogant or blatant, insane or just high on drugs - they all are the worst thing to look at. they are everywhere. even here - on the NT-like OS forum pages.
btw all what i did , is asking simple question or request
and what it looked like:
I'd call it a hystery of a FSF zealot.