ReactOS on Bootleg/Knock Off/Generic Computers/Laptops...

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

ReactOS on Bootleg/Knock Off/Generic Computers/Laptops...

Post by MugenFighter »

Has anyone tested ReactOS on bootleg, knock off, or generic computers or laptops? There are a lot of no name chinese computers from chinese direct to consumer sites (I'm not going to mention any, but search "chinese websites to buy stuff", if you're interested). It would be interesting to see if the hardware or bios would have any issues with ReactOS. Probably would be more of a curiosity than actual testing though.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
tomleem

Re: ReactOS on Bootleg/Knock Off/Generic Computers/Laptops..

Post by tomleem »

I like Googling. I will check it out.
:mrgreen:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
middings

Post by middings »

MugenFighter wrote:Has anyone tested ReactOS on bootleg, knock off, or generic computers or laptops?
Are you talking about white box computers?
It would be interesting to see if the hardware or bios would have any issues with ReactOS. Probably would be more of a curiosity than actual testing though.
Does the PC ROS Rigs page in the ReactOS Wiki help? Look for PCs described as generic or listed as motherboards.
Last edited by middings on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
henryjames

Post by henryjames »

I have used ReactOS on one of them and everything was ok. Maybe I just got lucky, who knows :D
In winter you don't need a lot of different events to have fun. You can just play snow balls and make snow man to have a rest with pleasure
Carney3

Post by Carney3 »

Seems to me your best bet would be to simply use the same hardware as the ReactOS team's reference hardware:

Namely a Dell Latitude D531 with the following specs:

CPU: AMD Turion 64 X2
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
HDD: 80 GB SATA
Motherboard: ATI SB600
Video Card: ATI Radeon X1200
Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio
Ethernet Card: Broadcom 57XX

If you want to use an external keyboard or mouse, you'd need to use PS/2, though, since USB doesn't seem to work on this hardware.
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

Does an eMachines from 2006 count? Every basic function seems to work though I have not tested the network, as ReactOS does not yet support MTP/PTP.
*blank*
middings

Post by middings »

If your eMachines PC built in 2006 (1) had factory support for Microsoft Windows XP, (2) you can and do use it with a PS/2 style keyboard and mouse, and (3) has a network interface controller based on the Realtek RTL8139 chip or compatible device then it will probably run ReactOS as well as any PC can.