How many of you still use Windows XP?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fraizeraust

How many of you still use Windows XP?

Post by Fraizeraust »

As of 8 April, 2014, Microsoft decided to retreat Windows XP at releasing updates for this OS and offering technical support. This means many companies and developers have also stepped down at supporting Windows XP.

While it is very risky to run this OS connected through a network, many people still use this old OS mainly organisations. Quite frankly, I posted this thread from a XP old machine and every time I launch this Operating System it reminds me of the very good old days. Nostalgia, my childhood. Although I rarely use this machine and I don't have any sensitive data or credentials to keep.

What about you? Do you still use Windows XP? If so, for what?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
dizt3mp3r

Re: How many of you still use Windows XP?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Still a very usable o/s. Can run applications that windows 7 cannot. 16bit games, a project manager application that I used to control my projects. There are some useful tools that run the best on XP. I have an Acer 7720g laptop that I use for gaming online. It is thoroughly swept and checked and nothing useful is stored on it. It is backed up by a disc swap if required. Locked down by malwarebytes, Sygate Pro Firewall and Avast. Kept up to date with the latest updates from MS (configured to make it appear as a embedded system version of XP) . I do not browse on it, I do not trawl the dark parts of the web. It is not part of my network. I think of it as how I want ReactOS to be, except open source and hopfully even more slimline.

Would still be my preferred o/s if it could be relied upon for security.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
verserk

Post by verserk »

I've made myself a "service pack 4" slipstream of XP professional that includes all released updates, a few registry tweaks, and firefox. I use it in virtual machines often for when I need to run something that doesn't work in wine.
ReactOS: HP pavilion dv6500.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

At last look, 6% of all machines still ran XP.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

I feel like the only person here who runs 10

On the flip side I know a guy who still uses 2000
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Konata wrote:I feel like the only person here who runs 10
Don't be so sad.
I am still here.
I use 10 too.
:)
Open Your Windows To Freedom
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

4x Win10 Pro 1709
1x Server 2012 R2
XP is dead
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

XP isn't dead whether you or I think it ought to be or not. Whether it should actually be dead or not is almost a moot point. Many people simply are using it. If ReactOS had a 6% market share we would think ReactOS is really here! ReactOS would beg for a 6% market share... What that stat. really says is that XP is used a lot by certain small groups of users. Most likely business users given the quite high residual percentage. Possibly a few older users too. There are also many desktop systems that exist that are simply not turned on. One of my family members has an XP system that is sitting on a desk, is there 'just in case' access is ever required to the apps/data sitting there.

I too occasionally use Windows 10 when I have to but Windows 7 is my go-to Windows o/s when I have the choice.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Just seen yesterday, some (if not most) of the journal kiosks in Zagreb still use (embedded) Windows XP for the point-of-sale computer.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Fraizeraust :
Are Virtual Machines excluded?
Open Your Windows To Freedom
val

Post by val »

I use and like it. Have 3 PCs home, the laptop sitting in the closet with x64 Windows 7 (I am not a fan of laptops), and 2 desktops, one has 32 bit XP and 64 bit 7, the other, the main one, it has 64 bit XP and also I am going to install there 64 bit 7, just to have access to Microsoft arm C compiler and tools. The main OS for use is XP.
If it has 6% of desktop share, that's bigger than all linux distributives in sum - hehe, quite not bad for the 16 years old OS release.

I am not a 10 hater at all, I could install it as a second OS instead of 7, but I cannot install 10 on my desktops - no driver support from the MB vendor.
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

I'm using Windows XP as my primary system.

The more time passes by, the more secure it becomes (viruses crash instead of doing damage).

Drivers are an issue where you can have different opinions. On the one hand less and less hardware has support for Windows xp. On the other hand nowadays new hardware often comes only with drivers for a specific version of Windows. For example you only get support for Windows 10 64 bit or Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. But not like it was back in the best times of Windows xp where it was absolutly normal that nearly all hardware supported Windows xp.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

Source for the images.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Adcock wrote:Fraizeraust :
Are Virtual Machines excluded?
I wouldn't mind VMs.
Michael Long wrote:The more time passes by, the more secure it becomes (viruses crash instead of doing damage).
I wish it could be true but unfortunately it isn't...

A product whose term of support has ended is more susceptible to security threats because the bugs are left untreated and that means more advantage for crackers (black-hat hackers) exploiting such bugs. This is the same for XP. I'm not saying that other OSes are entirely secure but at the very least you know the security bugs are covered by patches later and quick in time unlike in an abandonware which nobody fixes or takes care of the bugs in an abandonware product.

Personally Windows XP was one of the most stable OS from Microsoft and I really liked it. Wish that MS could continue supporting Windows XP in some way but things come to an end some day. Such is life.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Fraizeraust wrote:Personally Windows XP was one of the most stable OS from Microsoft and I really liked it. Wish that MS could continue supporting Windows XP in some way but things come to an end some day. Such is life.
Well MS did release a emergency patch 1 month after the EOL date, then again in April 2017 for the Wannacry outbreak. Maybe malware writers should keep making ransomware and targeting specific vulnerabilities for XP so MS can keep releasing emergency patches, haha.
florian

Post by florian »

Michael Long wrote:The more time passes by, the more secure it becomes (viruses crash instead of doing damage).
I disagree.
Fraizeraust wrote:Personally Windows XP was one of the most stable OS from Microsoft and I really liked it. Wish that MS could continue supporting Windows XP in some way but things come to an end some day. Such is life.
Compared to DOS-based Operating Systems like Win 95 or my Win 98 SE: yes.
Compared to following NT-based Operating Systems like my Win 7: no.

My old laptop runs Win XP but the laptop is replaced by a better one.