My first 48 hours

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kevin Castro

Re: My first 48 hours

Post by Kevin Castro »

Here is SSDLife Free in Windows 7 with trim enabled.
[ external image ]
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
—Option A: TP-Link TG-3269 PCI gigabit LAN card (XP Beta driver online)
—Option B: TP-Link TG-3468 PCI-E gigabit LAN card (XP driver off disc)
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I tried to install AnyRail 5. It's a model railway track-planning program with a large library of brands of track.
It installed but wouldn't launch. It asked me if I would like to submit a crash report. This PC doesn't yet have an internet connection.
As you can see, SSDLife Free refuses to uninstall. No matter—it's doing no harm.
[ external image ]
0.4.14: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-DS2, AMD A4 7300 (dual-core APU at 3.8GHz), various SSDs
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Another little quirk has popped up. The Start Menu shortcut for Irfanview Thumbnails explorer stopped launching the explorer and instead began launching the viewer. I deleted the shortcut and I launch Thumbnails from deeper within the menu tree. I have been doing some more mucking around with only the faintest hopes of getting the audio to work. I don't think it ever will. It would appear my mobo doesn't support AC97. Never mind—it's not going to be my full-time ReactOS rig. I'll soon be making plans.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Okay, I am thrilled you had as much success as you've had.

And not trying to be on your case nor hijacking your thread, you might want to look at the rules. They refer to posting 2+ posts in a row to be "double posting." I don't agree with that rule, but they have it, and I thought I'd let you know so you won't get upset when they do jump on you for this. To me, it makes more sense to have a separate reply per person, but they want you to do all your replies in the same post until others comment more. So you can quote multiple folks in the same post and edit and add more if others haven't commented yet.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

Thanks for the warning. The whole thread progressed in slow motion as I was doing more things. Anyway, all I'm trying to do is contribute and show some enthusiasm in the system so it doesn't take them another 21 years to produce a stable version. I'll be 72!
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Kevin Castro wrote:Thanks for the warning. The whole thread progressed in slow motion as I was doing more things. Anyway, all I'm trying to do is contribute and show some enthusiasm in the system so it doesn't take them another 21 years to produce a stable version. I'll be 72!
Agreed. I hope it doesn't take as long. I think I'm about 6 years behind you in age. I think someone here said that the Pareto Principle (80-20 Rule) was at work. We have 80% of what is needed, but the last 20% will take 80% of the total effort.

All I can say is to keep reporting in Jira when you find something that doesn't work that isn't already there.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It is good to see the positivity.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

I'm thinking of buying another AMD A4-7300 3.8GHz dual-core APU and another Gigabyte 58 mobo. This is a slamming little combo I'm running Vista Business 32 on. So even if ReactOS only uses one core, it's got some speed. Onboard graphics is Radeon and maybe ReactOS will like it better.
Using the outboard sata cabling, I'll install ReactOS on three different drives (the Crucial SSD and two spinners). That way, I can be more adventurous with what I try to install.

Anyway, it's 7:40am and I have a 65-minute drive to work.
I guess the cheesiest thing I can think of is "See ya soon, stay Reactive!"
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

dizt3mp3r wrote:It is good to see the positivity.
I hope you mean that sincerely, as positivity was exactly what I was aiming for. If not, there's Rule #1 ("Be civil"). It's so much better to dig out the bugs from the code so folks like the OP can benefit than to make digs at one another. This year is rather young, and I hope we all spend the rest of it productively, getting along with one another.

I'd really like to help the newcomers like the OP, and if I could code in C, I would. I don't think most complain about ROS out of ignorance of ROS as much as they do out of wanting to be helpful and not knowing how. So we must take advantage of that eagerness and willingness to help and help the newcomers to steer that into activities that help improve ReactOS. These are just my opinions as a life coach in training (this is not intended as self-promotion). Apologies to everyone if this seems Off-Topic, though it should be apparent how it all ties in with this thread.

Kevin Castro wrote:I'm thinking of buying another AMD A4-7300 3.8GHz dual-core APU and another Gigabyte 58 mobo. This is a slamming little combo I'm running Vista Business 32 on. So even if ReactOS only uses one core, it's got some speed. Onboard graphics is Radeon and maybe ReactOS will like it better.
Using the outboard sata cabling, I'll install ReactOS on three different drives (the Crucial SSD and two spinners). That way, I can be more adventurous with what I try to install.
Yes, it is good to experiment and see what works and what doesn't. Then you can help with the HW Compatibility Database and report things in Jira as you find things that aren't already there. And if you find what is there, you can add to the discussion in there if you have additional insights as to what is happening.
Kevin Castro

Post by Kevin Castro »

My experimenting is going to change direction slightly.
I've changed my mind about discontinuing this rig/install—it's now too dependable. It's no longer a project—it's a (slow and silent) PC.
Soon, I will build the AMD rig as well.