How is this for an Idea?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

zlm1229

How is this for an Idea?

Post by zlm1229 »

Ok so this idea is very far from being a reality but....
What if ROS could run Android Apps? In concept its not to hard to imagine, create a subsystem based on AOSP, download an APK, select compatibility mode, Android Nougat, presto, a Windows like OS running Android Apps.
I'm not saying it would easy, or that they SHOULD do it, I'm just posting an opinion and seeing peoples thought.
middings

Re: How is this for an Idea?

Post by middings »

Why? There's already an OS that runs Android apps.

Still if the idea of bolting Android on to ReactOS as a subsystem fascinates you, then you can design and write the code to do it. That's the advantage of free open source software (FOSS).
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

https://www.bluestacks.com/about-us/app ... .html#gref

Apparently this program allows you to run Android apps on Windows. See if it works In ROS?
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

karlexceed wrote:https://www.bluestacks.com/about-us/app ... .html#gref

Apparently this program allows you to run Android apps on Windows. See if it works In ROS?
Hi, I'm pretty sure that is an emulator, I think zlm meant native running. Maybe.
*blank*
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It's as much an emulator as Dalvik/ART is one. Andoid APKs are Java crap and runs in there as native as possible :P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

And i think you might think that ReactOS is a unix. IT IS NOT. >.<
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
zlm1229

Post by zlm1229 »

I wanted to clear a few things up. No I didn't want an emulator, emulation is the easy way out, I was talking about a "Compatibility mode" for Android apps.
I acknowledged it isn't something needed, I have 7 Android phones at home, but I was just asking "Wouldn't it be cool if" of course I never expected someone to drop critical resources of say, making ROS work with USB to implement a Android based subsystem, it doesn't even work with most of the XP programs people throw at it.
I was inspired by ChromeOS running Android apps, and no I do not think ROS is Unix/Linux based.

Sooooo... To reask wouldn't it be cool if ROS version 1.75 could run Android app... That's all I was asking, not version. 0.4.8, not version 0.7.5, it is just an idea I had
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

AKA, when we have Chrome working ^^ Chrome runs Android apps to an extent.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
zlm1229

Post by zlm1229 »

Yeah I guess that that would work
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Now, if someone wanted to do this, I can think of a couple of approaches. One is to add an alternative subsystem.

But another approach I've seen mentioned (refused to look at the source to not be dirty in case I do jump on board here at some point), at least for emulators, is to modify HAL. For instance, I think someone had mixed the GENS emulator in with HAL so you could double-click on a Sega image and run the game. The 68000 series CPU isn't that hard to emulate (though there are 3 other chips of note to emulate such as the Creative Labs compatible sound chip OPL or a cousin, a noise generator, and the Z80 which is used as a coprocessor, percussion sounds, and for D/A conversion).

Anyway, my point is that folks have modified the Windows HAL to run various things that normally don't run in Windows.

What would be nice for the ARM people, not the interest of me or most here, would be an ARM port of ReactOS and made to where it can run both Android and Windows apps. In that case, the x86 stuff would need the emulation. Since Android is a Linux, I guess the ROS port might need a POSIX subsystem or something. But I don't know.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.