Windows update

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

Re: Windows update

Post by erkinalp »

Hypothesised. Save/restore would of course use the code from hibernate implementation.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i agree that windows update is slow !! the way i get around that problem i install windows 8.1 then run windows update and install the updates i need avoiding the spy where updates https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9 then using a then i use a program and make a backup image of my windows drive then when i need to reinstall windows i restore the backup image as i had all the updates install at the time the image was made the update does not take as long to install as there may not be as many to install
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Does avoiding grammar make the process of communicating quicker or slower? In this case, slower.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Elenax

Post by Elenax »

Encountered similar issue with the last update seriously microsoft has to work on some idea like push state
danyou9

Post by danyou9 »

These windows updates are pissing me off!!! soo much not on time! always when I am in the middle of something important! :evil:
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

danyou9 wrote:These windows updates are pissing me off!!! soo much not on time! always when I am in the middle of something important! :evil:
So first, they are published every second Tuesday of each month, and, if you were more clever, you would have configured these to be installed manually...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Windows 10 does not have "manual" mode. It is all or nothing.
middings

Post by middings »

Visit Microsoft's Windows Update: FAQ page.
Choose the topic "How do I manually check for and install updates?".
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

At least you can switch to Semi-Annual-Channel for production use and additionally set em back 8 more days. This helped us to get past most Win10 bullcrap @ our customers for now.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

SAC updates can only be deferred for four months, though. Otherwise you have to update the long way using RTM updater.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Obviously, the way to go is to use the LTSB/LTSC version and only ever update from disk (with the new version) every 2-3 years...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Windows 10 LTS is not full featured. Support for store applications is limited. Edge is missing.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

LTSC is Server 2016+ and NOT Windows 10. Windows 10 has Semi-Annual-Channel and Semi-Annual-Channel Targeted (Default). SAC is optimized for Business environments and installs feature Updates after they are verified sort of stable. (about 3 months later than Targeted one). No one needs Store or Edge on a Server system.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

You need if it is a terminal server.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, then you need Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Chromium and a Domain wide group policy to disable the Store completely.