Intel “Pocket PC” prototype is a phone-sized Windows tablet

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

Intel “Pocket PC” prototype is a phone-sized Windows tablet

Post by tomleem »

https://liliputing.com/2018/06/intel-po ... ake-y.html.
I think this is interesting. It is a 'pocket pc'. Perhaps one could install different operating systems on it since it is x86 based?
:?:
[ external image ]
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
karlexceed

Re: Intel “Pocket PC” prototype is a phone-sized Windows tab

Post by karlexceed »

Well, if it ever ends up being an actual commercial device, I'm sure it would be possible to install a different OS on it.

It's kind of a shame that this hasn't gone anywhere, but then it does seem like the tablet market space in general has shrunk to a few specific business segments, education, and entertainment. Smart phones are too pervasive to justify carrying around a small tablet just for fun, and if you need to do any serious work like word processing, a laptop is still the better way to go in most cases. Recently it feels like if you see someone using an iPad in public, it's either a small child or a doctor.

In my opinion, convertibles / Surface-like hybrids suffer from the worst of both worlds rather than bringing together the best. It seems to me that the lightweight "net-top" / Chromebook model is quietly making a bigger impact in the market.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Intel “Pocket PC” prototype is a phone-sized Windows tab

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There are plenty of Intel Atom low power devices already extant that do the job of running Windows or another o/s. They are plentiful and cheap on ebay. Quad core Atom systems with 64gb of storage, 4gb RAM &c.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Quad-Core-4GB- ... 836?_pgn=2

I am using one now. The Linx 64 tablet.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Re: Intel “Pocket PC” prototype is a phone-sized Windows tablet

Post by PurpleGurl »

As for a different OS, I am not so sure. What if it has Secure Boot and no option to disable that?
dizt3mp3r

Re: Intel “Pocket PC” prototype is a phone-sized Windows tablet

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The Intel Atom low power devices already extant that I mentioned can be multi o/s systems and often come with both android and Win 10 o/s installed. There is a raft of Chuwi branded devices that are configured this way on ebay.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.