Cairo Shell

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

RideBMX

Re: Cairo Shell

Post by RideBMX »

RaptorEmperor wrote:Any links to an updated source?
The source is here.

Cairo Shell is "open source," not "free."

The license, just like the new site, might not even have correct information though.
Join a community effort and help the Wiki.
aussie_boi

Post by aussie_boi »

The new website FAQ's state:

Question - " Will Cairo be free?"

Answer - "Cairo will be freeware, which means we will not require a fee for using our software. However, Cairo is closed source and not available for duplication."
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

That sucks. Cairo was looking like it might have some cool design concepts. Like a version of Gnome for Windows.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Is it OpenSource or ClosedSource?
RideBMX

Post by RideBMX »

It is open source, but nothing has been updated to reflect that as of yet.
Join a community effort and help the Wiki.
aussie_boi

Post by aussie_boi »

All I can say is "I am confused" ...

Is this the new cairoShell website of not? http://cairoshell.github.com/

If it is, then I can only go by the FAQ's posted at that site http://cairoshell.github.com/faq/

I really hope it is FREE and OpenSource
manuel

Post by manuel »

I suggest that reactos has an option in the control panel that allows to activate a group of icons from a list, similar to the change of icons in abyword, it could have the tango icons, cairo and other, we select one of the list and reactos it changes its appearance.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

manuel wrote:I suggest that reactos has an option in the control panel that allows to activate a group of icons from a list, similar to the change of icons in abyword, it could have the tango icons, cairo and other, we select one of the list and reactos it changes its appearance.
Well, actually, you can choose icons in Windows, as well. You can find Windows 98 icons in Windows XP. So having more than one icon set in ReactOS wouldn't necessarily be any different than how Windows does things. I'm still not 100% convinced that Cairo is open-source, though. I'm wondering if they're just full of BS.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
on http://cairoshell.github.com/faq/
I installed Cairo on XP but it does not work. Why?

Cairo is not officially supported on Windows XP, however some users have had success. Please be sure you have .NET 3.5 installed.
if it is using the .net framework then at the moment it is useless
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

A bit of clarity:

Cairoshell was indeed closed source software, but they released the source code under the GPL license. The website at github is out of date. The team over at Element Software have been working on builds which implement missing features in Cairo.

The latest build out is at (M3) : http://jcxp.info/forums/index.php?s=7e4 ... topic=2630

You can view the development status here : http://jcxp.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=2553&st=0

We are working towards M4, which is highly likely it will be merged into the main git repository once the WPF explorer is out.

If people are looking to run this on ReactOS, I would not bother. Its a WPF application, which requires .NET 3.5 in order to run.

The only remote possible way of running this on ReactOS would be to try and use Mono, but it would still be crippled. Sorry :(

Forgot to add : Cairoshell have released the project open source, but they do not want new projects stemmed off of it, all contributions can only go back to Cairo itself. It is still thier property in all respects. :P
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i have had a look at Cairo and the source code and i can not get it to run on xp or compile on xp i have tride to compile it with SharpDevelop 3.2 + Visual Studio 2008 + Visual Studio 2010
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

MadWolf: Please visit our Cairoshell support forum, and submit your question there, you will get more replies.

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/cairo
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

patternjake wrote:A bit of clarity:

Cairoshell was indeed closed source software, but they released the source code under the GPL license. The website at github is out of date. The team over at Element Software have been working on builds which implement missing features in Cairo.

The latest build out is at (M3) : http://jcxp.info/forums/index.php?s=7e4 ... topic=2630

You can view the development status here : http://jcxp.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=2553&st=0

We are working towards M4, which is highly likely it will be merged into the main git repository once the WPF explorer is out.

If people are looking to run this on ReactOS, I would not bother. Its a WPF application, which requires .NET 3.5 in order to run.

The only remote possible way of running this on ReactOS would be to try and use Mono, but it would still be crippled. Sorry :(

Forgot to add : Cairoshell have released the project open source, but they do not want new projects stemmed off of it, all contributions can only go back to Cairo itself. It is still thier property in all respects. :P
Well, if you're not allowed to branch the project, and can only contribute to the main branch, it's not really free code, since the code has restrictions on it. I hope the Cairo team decides to eventually distribute it under a free software license. Has the team considered releasing Cairo under a free software license? Maybe some kind of compromise could be reached, such as releasing the last release under an free software license whenever a new version comes out? That could draw developers to develop for the most up-to-date branch, but still allow for some measure of software freedom so it doesn't look like Cairo is using free software developers as free labor for a non-free software project. I think the MIT license might allow something like this.

I do plan to keep track of Cairo, because it looks like it has the potential to become the best alternate shell for Windows that I've seen yet. I just hope they eventually come to fully embrace the meaning of free software.
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

This is completely off-topic (I've just moved this accordingly), Cairo is a program before being a shell, please read this thread when you find software useful for ReactOS.

Adopting it or not is out of discussion it's in C# and its license isn't clear or compatible (read the thread above).
When ReactOS is ready Cairo will run on it and you'll be free to use it or not.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hey patternjake, congrats for this Version. Its the first one running on my PC witout a really BAD MEM Leak. :-D Nice work.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...