Cairo Shell

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

patternjake

Re: Cairo Shell

Post by patternjake »

Well, if you're not allowed to branch the project, and can only contribute to the main branch, it's not really free code, since the code has restrictions on it. I hope the Cairo team decides to eventually distribute it under a free software license. Has the team considered releasing Cairo under a free software license? Maybe some kind of compromise could be reached, such as releasing the last release under an free software license whenever a new version comes out? That could draw developers to develop for the most up-to-date branch, but still allow for some measure of software freedom so it doesn't look like Cairo is using free software developers as free labor for a non-free software project. I think the MIT license might allow something like this.

I do plan to keep track of Cairo, because it looks like it has the potential to become the best alternate shell for Windows that I've seen yet. I just hope they eventually come to fully embrace the meaning of free software.
I will see if I can get more clarity on this. I think what the original Cairoshell are talking about is using the original brandname / or rebranding the project. I am confident that since the source is open, anyone is free to contribute, share and modify the source.[/quote]
Ill get in contact with Sam and I will give you an update on this. Im pretty sure though that its fine since the updated branch is from Element Software, otherwise they would not allow us to do this.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

EmuandCo wrote:Hey patternjake, congrats for this Version. Its the first one running on my PC witout a really BAD MEM Leak. :-D Nice work.
Glad its working OK for you. :)

We are still working towards M4 at the moment, which will be merged with the main trunk soon enough.
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

horrible .NET bloat, they should rewrite it in QT4 (king of toolkits) then it can be considered for explorer.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No it couldn't. We've always been very explicit about applications needing to be base Win32 C/C++ code to be seriously considered for inclusion.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

FORCE wrote:horrible .NET bloat, they should rewrite it in QT4 (king of toolkits) then it can be considered for explorer.
The issue is that it's not written in C/C++, and we also want to stick with a Windows 2000/XP-based Explorer. Cairo couldn't be the default GUI because it doesn't meet the interface guidelines, if you will. If we were to implement Cairo as the default GUI, people would think this was Wine, Linux, or both, and those familiar with using Windows would be confused. Not that Cairo isn't a good program, or that I won't use it when ReactOS and/or Cairo are more stable, but Cairo isn't the path forward for ReactOS.
FORCE

Post by FORCE »

RaptorEmperor wrote:
FORCE wrote:horrible .NET bloat, they should rewrite it in QT4 (king of toolkits) then it can be considered for explorer.
The issue is that it's not written in C/C++, and we also want to stick with a Windows 2000/XP-based Explorer. Cairo couldn't be the default GUI because it doesn't meet the interface guidelines, if you will. If we were to implement Cairo as the default GUI, people would think this was Wine, Linux, or both, and those familiar with using Windows would be confused. Not that Cairo isn't a good program, or that I won't use it when ReactOS and/or Cairo are more stable, but Cairo isn't the path forward for ReactOS.

i agree with you, normal c++ explorer is all we need like on XP
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

FORCE: Its simply impossible to rewrite Cairoshell to any other language, since its a WPF application.

The only remote possibility of getting it working on ReactOS is Mono, but yet, they do not have WPF.

Btw we have released Carioshell M4 for anyone who is intrested:

http://jcxp.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=2825
Kyuuqsoft

Post by Kyuuqsoft »

I'm using Cairo as a Aquais Default theme for Aquais OS. (Built in an ROS Technology). I'll release a Beta in July, or August, 2011. and Release in July, 2012. ok.
Kyuuqsoft

Post by Kyuuqsoft »

And you'll be Evently Surprise on Aquais OS.
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

by Kyuuqsoft » 31 Jan 2011 03:17

I'm using Cairo as a Aquais Default theme for Aquais OS. (Built in an ROS Technology). I'll release a Beta in July, or August, 2011. and Release in July, 2012. ok.
I'd like to know how because Cairo doesn't even work without WPF and .NET 3.5, both which do not run on ReactOS.

Whats your secret? :lol:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hmmm maybe he tries to fix recent mono versions... Let's see what will be the result
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

Good luck with the time it will take to create WPF on top of Mono! :P