Option for remove account and nick anonymisation.

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

piotr9821

Option for remove account and nick anonymisation.

Post by piotr9821 »

Please add option for remove account from forum and all topic remove. (or set random nick) Could anyone remove my account? Reactos is open source project. Forum should give freedom of choice.
middings

Re: Option for remove account and nick anonymisation.

Post by middings »

An alternative to piotr9821's opinion:
ReactOS is an open source project. A contribution of code or information should remain available to all.
Freedom of choice rests in the choice to contribute or not.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We will not remove anything just to make one guy happy but completely destroy threads which base on his/her posts. If you have a problem with your account existing... Why did you make one at all?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

He only made two posts, including this one. If he answers it'll be three!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

Maybe piotr9821 was asking for a friend. :lol:

Some time ago, another ReactOS forum user asked to have the user's own posts removed. That user's request was also denied.

'Nick anonymization' is an interesting idea. Replacing forum nicknames (IDs or handles) with anonymized substitute nicknames could be an alternative to taking down old posts. The ReactOS forum moderators might consider nick anonymization if the phpBB Forum software had such a feature. I expect that after consideration, the moderators would drop the idea. Good arguments exist for retaining the identity of the source of contributions of ideas and information to a free and open source software (FOSS) project.

In practice, a nick anonymization feature would be difficult to implement. To completely obscure a user ID from the ReactOS forums, mentions of the user ID in the body of messages would also have to be replaced. Suppose there was a ReactOS forum user named x86 who wanted nick anonymization. A naive replacement of all occurrences of x86 with a random string would wreck a lot of posts.

Even if nick anonymization was implemented, I doubt that such a feature would achieve what piotr9821 expects. The Internet never forgets. Copies of old forum posts with the unobscured user ID might still exist elsewhere, most likely in the Internet Archive.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I've already taken a copy of piotr's posts for posterity.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

piotr9821 wrote:Please add option for remove account from forum and all topic remove. (or set random nick) Could anyone remove my account? Reactos is open source project. Forum should give freedom of choice.
How come? It doesn't automatically follow from "Reactos is open source project" as far as I can see, so what's your rationale? (I'm not saying I'm for or against - just curious about the why.)