Wiki translation

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

ThePhysicist
Developer

Wiki translation

Post by ThePhysicist »

I have seen that translations in the Wiki are mostly done by changing the name of the page into the natve language, but wouldn't it be better to have a standard translation "path", like ".../index.php/DE/main" instead of ".../index.php/Deutsche_übersetzung"?
So there wouldn't be any problems of naming pages like FAQ, wich is FAQ in most languages, I think.
And it would be great to have the national flag on top of all the pages, to select the native language, after a wiki search. On the bottom seems not so good. And it would be fantastic, if the search function would recognize the native language that was set on the main page/in the profile, so searching for FAQ would bring the FAQ site for the native language, like /DE/FAQ for German language.

Just my 2 Pfennige ;-)
Sirmatto

Post by Sirmatto »

I'll have to second that, however, I think it might add a bit of trouble to those who want to create a whole new language. But a quick email to a dev would be all that they need.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

You can simply name your wiki entry [[XY/foofoo]] and it will be stored, the problem is more, that the search function might not work with these
A better way might be to work with interlanguage links, like [[de:FAQ]]. But then there has to be a new wiki for every language. But in this way the wiki itself could be translated into the native language, wich doesn't work yet, I think. And when I search the Wiki for "ROSCMS" for example I would prefer to get the page in my language, wich is only possible with more than one wiki.
mokrates

Post by mokrates »

If i see correctly, you use a mediawiki... So doesn't this Software have some i18n support? And if not, so I would recommend to create some policy (and perhaps some code), so the LN/page idea could work; but C-localed-language (english) fallback pages'd be selected if there is no translated one.

Ok, i assume you have read this
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilfe:Inte ... alisierung

ah damn... i mean this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... uage_links :D

I think this can be used.
First thing: Mediawiki is supposed to be used this way
Second: Yes, there has to be an own Wiki for every lang, but if they're closely linked together, this should not impose a problem.
And not english speaking people are not scared, because they suddenly are sent to an english page, which can happen easily, if you throw 5 languages into one wiki and "hope" it would organize itself.

But mostly i think the "first thing" is important :)
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

I have just contacted Fireball on irc channel, hope he can help here.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Noone has replied to this so far. But I think it might be a good idea to implement wikipedia like multi language support.
It would be very nice if one of the devs/website people could give a little feedback.
Fireball? ;-)
st

Post by st »

I thik adding interlanguage linking support to our wiki would be very useful. I talked about it with Fireball too. In order to do it, some mediawiki settings must be changed. I don't know how to change them.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »