Some ideas/suggestions for the website

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

ThePhysicist
Developer

Some ideas/suggestions for the website

Post by ThePhysicist »

As 0.3.0 is coming nearer, wich might attract a lot of people to the site, i think it is important to have the site proper in form and content.

German translation
I have seen that a lot of the site isn't translated into German, some menus are in dutch (?) and some menus are different from the english menu. Although we are a lot Germans here, i think ;-)
So can someone please add my account to the translation group, so that I can do a little work.

Translation
Some parts of the website aren't translatable (wiki (menu), forum, Compatiblity Database, ...) It would be great if most of these things would be translatable, too. It just doesn't look good, when the menu always changes from native language to english and vice versa.
Also the wiki should be setup as different wikis for different languages. (there were already discussions about that: here and here)

Navigation
I think the navigation is not always really consistent/strict hierachically and sometimes it might be a little confusing. Just an idea from me: A slightly different navigation bar like this one (only more beautiful ;-)) Or maybe optional.
[ external image ]
The dark grey field would be mouseover, I thik it looks a little better than the actual yellow, but that's just MHO.

RosDevNet
What about it? I think it would be good to have some kind of MSDN like help for newbie devs. Wasn't there some script planned that would create a kind of online documentation from the sources, like Wine does it?
It should include status of all functions (stub, (partly) implemented, tested, optimized) and a list of FIXMEs / CHECKMEs. And there should be the API status page again.

OK, I think that's enough ideas/suggestions/wishes now.

Btw:
- The "Img" button does not work correctly. It puts the opening tag at the bottom of the edit field and adds a closing tag at the end of the message when saving.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

German translation:
I added your account to the translatio group. Please set your account setting to "German" (myReactOS settings) and then you will be avle to translate/fix german language content.

Translation:
The translated version of the main menu for the subsystems stands on the todo list. But we ran out of website admins, currently, I am alone :?
I hope that ReactOS 0.3 will bring a lot of good PR for our project, many new developers and some website admins too. We may need some donations/sponsors for a webserver uprade and/or new one too.

Navigation:
Maybe we will have time for this topic before 0.3.

RosDevNet:
Generally, it would be really easy to extend the support database (several code pieces/functions are already there and/or can be shared with the other parts).
Or docbook like variant would be great too.

Currently, I am busy with real life too, so we will have to wait for Sommer 2006 (mid July).
pvanlogchem

Interlanguage wiki

Post by pvanlogchem »

If Interlanguage support is added to the wiki I'll update (and translate additional parts to) the Dutch wiki pages; Other languages will probably have there own share of volunteers - so I vote for this too, please.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I like ThePhysicist's idea on the menu.
Current navigation is quite confusing.