RosCMS

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

ThePhysicist
Developer

RosCMS

Post by ThePhysicist »

First: Sorry for temporarily messing up the German main page (I already fixed that).

It was, because there were 2 different entries for [#cont_index], in a version from 2005-12-24 and 2006-05-23. Website translation status said the page was from 2005-12-24, so the new one never got online (?)
I edited one of the pages and then there was only one left.
Also [#cont_contmenu_community] is there twice. Rev 1 is from 2006-05-17 and Rev 6 is from 2005-12-07, wich is the actual entry.
This is a little confusing.

When saving a page there's the possibility to choose between save as new version and update existing one. What's the difference?

When going to the translation page I always start with the english entries, wich is confusing, because I want to edit the German pages, so I always have to click "German" first. You can easily forget that, and then think: "oh, that page isn't translated..." because you are shown the original english one, instead of the translated one. And when selecting the translated ones, there are only the pages that have already been (partly) translated. Pages that haven't been translated at all are not even shown. So you always have to check, if all english pages are already present in your language and if not, select them and save them.

My suggestions: When going to the translation interface, you should always get the pages in your language if already translated and the original pages only if they are not translated yet. The list should show the date / version of the english and the chosen language. When selecting a page to edit, both, the english and the translated page should be shown. The english one read-only, maybe with red marked diffs, since the last update of the translated page. There might be a check box that says "I have updated the contents of the translated page to the state of the original english page." and then the version number of the translated page jumps to the one of the original page. If not checked it's assumed there were only some updates/fixes of the old version.
Changing the edit mode (plain/rich/bbcode) , should simply change and reload the interface and not save the page. Maybe 3 different edit buttons in the list. And there should be a history, so it's easily possible to restore an old version if someone has made a mistake.

BTW: The website is getting pretty slow, maybe it's time for hardware-update ;-)
frik85
Developer

Re: RosCMS

Post by frik85 »

ThePhysicist wrote:BTW: The website is getting pretty slow, maybe it's time for hardware-update ;-)
The www.reactos.org website is running on a Pentium III 1GHz computer with 512Mb of RAM. Ge van Geldorp has been hosting our webserver for free for several years. The hardware get out of date and he need the server for something else.
We will move the website to another server this sommer. To keep the website on a seperate server box we will need some donations (paypal button is located on the website frontpage).

I will improve the RosCMS interface in a few weeks (mid July).
SuperTrax

Post by SuperTrax »

Hi,

a little hint from me:

All the links on the front page - inside the text - aren't functional.

At least in german language :wink:

Maybe one of you, could fix them?

Kind regards,
Mark
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

SuperTrax wrote:All the links on the front page - inside the text - aren't functional.
Okay, done. It was an editor bug.
terrance

Post by terrance »

We are probably going to host the site on several servers. We already have a very old machine that should be enough for the HTML pages, but we really need a server for RosCMS, Bugzilla and phpBB. Donations? Suggestions?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Requirements?

Post by Jaix »

terrance wrote:We are probably going to host the site on several servers. We already have a very old machine that should be enough for the HTML pages, but we really need a server for RosCMS, Bugzilla and phpBB. Donations? Suggestions?
What do we need? speed, memory, SMP/dualcore, HD-size, software and OS?
Do we have bandwidth and place to store the server?