Relation between CompDB and AppDB

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

tureba

Relation between CompDB and AppDB

Post by tureba »

Hi

I am curious about one thing.

Well, Wine has a pretty big database of programs, AppDB. But ReactOS still has a small one so far, CompDB.

Since ReactOS and Wine share a lot of code and in many ways are very similar, is it safe to assume that an application that works on Wine has a good chance of working on ReactOS? And the other way around too? And an application that doesn't work well on one might work just as badly on the other?

I mean, is there any relation between the compatibilities of applications on ReactOS and Wine?

As I said, this is just curiosity, so I will understand if there is no definitive answer for this. I just thought it would be an easy way of finding out if a program works on ReactOS without testing. Call me lazy.

Thanks for any input.
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

In (near) future, all apps which work fine in Wine will work fine in ReactOS too. Additionally, a lot of apps and WinNT 4/2k/XP drivers will work in ReactOS but not in Wine, especially apps which requiere internal behaviour of WinNT and/or interact with drivers or other system components.

some examples:
* CD/DVD burn apps (e.g. Nero Burning Rom)
* music player with mp3 player sync (iTunes)
* Games (with copyprotection)
* anti virus, sw-firewall, etc.
* special programs that whole businesses might rely on
* system tools (defrag, etc.)

The goal of the ReactOS Compatibility Database is to provide a comprehensive database with compatibility data of apps & drivers which have been tested in release versions of ReactOS.
As soon as ReactOS 0.3.0 is available, I hope that a lot of volunteer from our community will submit test reports.
tureba

Post by tureba »

Well, that makes perfect sense. I always wondered how Wine would handle the lowest-level applications and some Windows-specific traits, like defrags, copy protections and so on.

One thing is supplying a new API layer for the programs to work on, as it is Wine's main goal (I think). But the close-to-metal interface the other applications need is a completely different issue to be addressed - which is something ReactOS aims to solve.

Thanks for the reply. I think I got the idea of the differences.

And don't worry, I will do my part of testing a few things on ReactOS. Just as soon as I get some spare time the next few of weeks.