ReactOS Forum is HOPELESSLY broken.

Suggestions and comments about the ReactOS website

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matthias

ReactOS Forum is HOPELESSLY broken.

Post by Matthias »

Sorry guys, but the ReactOS Forum just can't go on like this, everything is broken. The Login Form at the bottom of the Forum Index hasn't been working for months now. I currently can't log out of the ReactOS Forum by clicking on the "Log out" link. On the other hand, the forum won't log me in automatically even though i have cookies enabled. This feature also hasn't been working for months now. I can't change the password in my profile because it keeps telling me that my old password doesn't match the one stored in the database (no, i didn't misspell it). And the latest and greatest episode is that firefox can't log into the Forum any more! frik85, you suck! The forum is broken, so go and fix it! :evil:
Andrewm1986

Post by Andrewm1986 »

Works for me
Harteex

Re: ReactOS Forum is HOPELESSLY broken.

Post by Harteex »

Matthias wrote:Sorry guys, but the ReactOS Forum just can't go on like this, everything is broken. The Login Form at the bottom of the Forum Index hasn't been working for months now. I currently can't log out of the ReactOS Forum by clicking on the "Log out" link. On the other hand, the forum won't log me in automatically even though i have cookies enabled. This feature also hasn't been working for months now. I can't change the password in my profile because it keeps telling me that my old password doesn't match the one stored in the database (no, i didn't misspell it). And the latest and greatest episode is that firefox can't log into the Forum any more! frik85, you suck! The forum is broken, so go and fix it! :evil:
You have attitude problems, so go and fix that...
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Harteex wrote:You have attitude problems, so go and fix that...
No, i don't. It is well known that the forum is broken since ages, and i've been chatting with frik85 about these issues multiple times. frik85 is responsible for the ReactOS home page, and if there are issues with it, it's his duty to fix them. If he doesn't, that sucks. It's as simple as that...
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

There are some issues due moving to a new webserver. This will be fixed in a few days, when the movement is over.

The logout function and the quick login on forum frontpage will be fixed then too.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Harteex wrote: You have attitude problems, so go and fix that...
Agreed, and not just in this thread, but many of the threads he's posted in.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Matthias wrote:frik85, you suck!
Wow, is it possible to flame our developers any more?
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

@ Matthias:

The RosCMS and the global login system haven't been altered for more than one months. The problems with login (for some people) are due DNS, caching, whatever, and will go away after website has been moved to the new server.

To make it clear for you too, I haven't broke anything. The caching has been activated to keep the old server for 0.3.0 release online.

btw. the "login boxes on forum frontpage" a bug, it's a feature ("one login form for everything").

I am not the only one who work on the website, I am just one of the most active one in this area. So don't blame me, blame yourself. Instead of writing rude messages you could spend the time in writing a patch for phpbb (login form). You have the phpbb html code in front of you and you have the login page code, it's up to you.
And if you are not able to write a patch, then it would be better to file a bugzilla bug, if one exist ask someone kindly if he has overseen it, etc.

AND you should keep your "attitude problems" at home.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

frik85 wrote:@ Matthias:
The RosCMS and the global login system haven't been altered for more than one months. The problems with login (for some people) are due DNS, caching, whatever, and will go away after website has been moved to the new server.
That's BS, the login works with konqueror. Until a few weeks ago it worked with firefox as well and one day it just broke. Caching can't be the reason as well. I set up a VM in Qemu yesterday (with Debian) and ran Firefox within it. It's broken, and somebody must have broken it. If it wasn't frik85 i'm sorry for blaming him, but he can't deny that something's going badly wrong with the ReactOS home page. As i said, i've been asking him about this quite a few times on IRC (and i seriously doubt that i've been the only one), but since he still didn't fix anything, i guess he's got to find out the rude way.
Besides that, the home page is even more broken in terms of XHTML than it was when it was last discussed (here) and the webmaster (whoever it might be) obviously hasn't done _anything_ about that either. Fix it, or remove the W3C button. Fix the login form at the bottom of the page! It can't be that hard...
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

The login system code hasn't been touched for more than 2 months, other parts of RosCMS & forum for more than one months.

So it's either a Firefox bug (then report it on mozilla.com to their bugzilla), wait until their next update will fix that issue, or just delete your cookies, reset your password and check the myReactOS login settings!

If the issue occur during the last week, then wait a few days and everything will be fine again.

And if you tell someone about a bug/issue, the person may have other things to do and may fix it later and in some circumstances the person might forget about minor priority things.
I am not saying that I forgot about something, it might happen and if so it was not my intention.
Please just file a bug in bugzilla and then you can remind someone about the bug-report later.

The problem is some people think that we are working full time on this project, they are wrong, we do this because it's our hobby and we do it because it's fun for us.
Of course, login issues are a higher priority and we are investigation how to solve them, although as from my side I can do nothing at the moment (from the code side everyting is working fine for several months).
Matthias wrote:
frik85 wrote:@ Matthias:
That's BS, the login works with konqueror. Until a few weeks ago it worked with firefox as well and one day it just broke. Caching can't be the reason as well. I set up a VM in Qemu yesterday (with Debian) and ran Firefox within it. It's broken, and somebody must have broken it.
The question is, who is talking BS!
I was talking about caching of the webserver, which has been enabled a few hours before 0.3.0 release and is still active until the webserver movement has been finished. Some caching settings have been altered and the login problems should be fixed but it cannot be guaranted.
And don't forget to go for sure your firefox version is "okay", try to downgrade or change the browser to go for sure.

And as I said even to you several times, the website will be available on the new webserver as one version (not html 4 and xhtml 1.1 anymore), probably xhtml 1.0. The change is trivial, but we have to setup up some redirect scripts, etc. to prevent the link "compatibility" and we don't want to do that task twice.
florian

Post by florian »

Maybe this is already known or only a German Forum login issue:

Trying to login I always get the following answer:

Moved Permanently
The document has moved here.
Apache/2.0.54 (Fedora) Server at www.reactos.org Port 80

The adress is http://www.reactos.org/forum
Adding a / manually at the end of the adress - or using the The document has moved here - I am getting onto the pages of the Forum. The same happens trying to logout.

Hopefully this helps...
And with best regards in order to be a bit polite.

(By the way I am using Opera and its Cache was already deleted.)
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

For some days now , the reactos webserver has a slash problem. It will be fixed soon. It seems that it is an apache config thingy.