reactos on windows

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jessey

reactos on windows

Post by Jessey »

I was just woundering if anyone has tried running the reactos shell on windows? What reactos is suposed to be fully compable with windows so what better way then to run the clean room reverse engirened os componets on windows and see what happnes? What? :D :D
solid_black

Re: reactos on windows

Post by solid_black »

Look, here is a wiki page: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_Explorer that has this little link at the bottom:
http://www.foxplanet.de/explorer/. Here you can read something interesting about your question.

That's about the old shell, whereas the new shell is being developed under Windows and then tested under ReactOS (hopefully I'm not mistaken).
You can read more about the new shell and its development in this blog:
https://www.reactos.org/blog/2924
Konata

Post by Konata »

Actually Windows specifically allows you to switch out the default shell with another, so one would expect you'd be able to do that. You don't even have to use ROS' Explorer to have a free WM, you can use other open source ones like BBLean.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Both explorers, old and new run nicely on XP and 2003 and with a few build time tricks even on 7/8/8.1. But the old is still not compatible to the Windows way of shell implementation. For example our start menu is inside explorer. It does not belong there at all.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Jessey,

Actually, that is what the devs are doing. Explorer (new) was created and tested in Windows. They had to since there was a catch-22 there. The old explorer didn't do things correctly, but neither did the underlying code. So if they upgraded Explorer, it would not run in ROS, so it had to be done under Windows so it would be done correctly. So to get it to work in ROS, the missing and broken APIs had to be added to the shell libraries. Now, it is a matter of getting other underlying code correct.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Check the blog posts from gigaherz on the main site. It shows the development of the new shell in Windows Server 2003. (And his burnt hand ...)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Check the blog posts from gigaherz on the main site. It shows the development of the new shell in Windows Server 2003. (And his burnt hand ...)

Speaking of which...isn't his last blog/update WAY overdue, by now? It sets it at 02/08, and we're now 22/08...

That's 20 days. I thought that it was part of his job to give a weekly update, or has that changed recently?

I'm not trying to be difficult here. If there is a new agreement been made that it's monthly from now on, I don't have any problem with it (though it would still be a pity), but if not, I'm wondering what the delay is?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well tbh, writing news every week takes time and that time can be used to code even more, too. I am not sure if that was the point behind the delay, but he is still working on it heavily. And that is more important than a weekly newsletter IMO.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Well tbh, writing news every week takes time and that time can be used to code even more, too. I am not sure if that was the point behind the delay, but he is still working on it heavily. And that is more important than a weekly newsletter IMO.
Hmm. I'm not so sure about that argument. It's an argument which on itself is always true, but because of that, loses its argumentational value. If you look at it objectively, it doesn't really make much sense.

I mean, one knows that in front, for instance. You know from the start that any time put in writing a report or blog, you can't code at that same time, nor do anything else, for that matter. Yet, knowing that, part of the jobdescription still included writing a weekly report. At least, that was what I was told. So, what's changed? There seems to be no new elements to now suddenly realise 'that time can be used to code even more' where one didn't realise that before. That seems very unrealistic. Besides, making that report is, on itself, also pretty important: not only does it show what a paid coder has been spending his time on to the devs, it's also a way to follow the progress (or lack thereof) itself - to all of us - what new things are there, etc., and it also contributes heavily to giving a lively and active impression on the main page, which was one of the major goals of those reports in the first place.

And even more fundamental: he's being paid for the job. Which is something totally different than volunteers work. Yes, I know: he's a swell guy, he's done great things, and I understand the inclination of saying 'let's just let it slide' and 'he can code even more instead'. But. It's a job. If it was agreed on, that part of the job is writing a weekly report, than, from the standpoint of professionalism, you are obliged to do it. Whether you like it or not. Whether one thinks one can spend his time better on something else or not.

I mean, let's face it: do you always like to do everything in your job? Is everything equally important? In most jobs, that ain't the case. If one has to make notes of meetings, or make lists of IT material, or write a manual for a device, etc., it's quite possible that you are of the opinion you could do better things with that time too - and probably even rightfully so. But yet, if it's part of your job, you're doing it. Period. That's what it means to be professional. You do your job as has been agreed on. All aspects of it.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Sidenote. Thats was NOT a official argument, it was just MY opinion.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Sidenote. Thats was NOT a official argument, it was just MY opinion.
Yes, yes, I understood, no worries. I was just trying to point out that (personal) argument on itself was a bit spurious within the context of a paid job, where the jobdescription has been made clear in front.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I was absent for several weeks due to moving and work/school related deadlines and was not around to ride David on getting them done.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Webunny wrote:Yes, yes, I understood, no worries. I was just trying to point out that (personal) argument on itself was a bit spurious within the context of a paid job, where the jobdescription has been made clear in front.
I have mixed feelings, but I understand with what you are saying. It would be like if the police department got rid of the dress code, since shaving, basic hygiene, or changing uniforms only takes time they could be spending catching criminals.
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

so it should work on Windows 7? Is it possible to test the other programs of reactos? I have been wanting to see how the solitare program runs in windows and wine as it is the most clossets copy of the xp one as legaly possible.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

You haven't already tried by yourself? :D :lol: